Backpack Essentials for THRIVING at Lafayette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Lafayette chapter.

I’m sure we were all ready with our backpacks packed on the first day of school. We were once so excited to get the year started. But now that we are settled in and the leaves are falling, what do you really need in your backpack? Sure there are the obvious notebooks, pencils, and folders, or whatever you prefer. But what about the small things? Here is an essential list of things to truly make your day, and year!

1. Headphones

These are a non-negotiable. Every walk to class, the gym, or even Gilbert’s Cafe deserves the perfect song to go with it. Also, a little Mozart while studying has been proven to be beneficial!

2. Water bottle

It should be made known that bottled water is not free, nor ecologically responsible. So a solution would be to carry a water bottle! There are so many benefits to drinking water that we don’t even realize. Also, water bottles are fun to decorate with stickers or a cool design!

3. Chapstick

Whether you are a simple Chapstick kind of girl or like to splurge on an Eos , lip moisturizing is a luxury everyone deserves. It’s also a great way to stay awake during class. Or maybe you apply it slowly to attract some positive attention. Whatever the function, it is definitely necessity wherever you go!

4. Utensils kit

We are all aware of the recent no-straws trend in the country (and at Gilbert’s Cafe). Getting yourself a utensils kit will satiate your straw craving and do a good deed at the same time.

5. Hand Sanitizer

But before you dig in, hand sanitizer! College is a germ’s paradise. The close proximity of people in lines and sharing with friends is all fun and games until you get sick. The travel size hand sanitizers are the perfect fix to zap your college-cold before it happens!

6. A hair tie or scrunchie

It’s 11PM and you are in Skillman grinding away, but keep getting distracted because you are just having a wild hair day. No worries, tie those loose locks back with your scrunchie  or hair tie and keep chugging along. Or kick your study slump by hitting the gym! If you can workout with your hair down, god bless ‘ya, but majority of people do not possess that skill.

7. Deodorant

Our busy schedules demand early hours from us and quick turnaround time between activity. Everyone needs this nifty pocket deodorant. Smell fresh post workout without a shower. Or seem put together when really you overslept your alarm and ran to class. It’s adorable and looks like an eos lip balm, it’s totally disguised!

8. Tampons

Whether it’s for you or your helping out a friend, tampons can be a lifesaver on this essential list. Sometimes it’s a little tricky to hide these in a backpack or prevent loss in the endless abyss of a backpack, so make sure you secure it a pouch or pocket that protects and hides these little helpers.

9. Gum or Mints

These are a personal preference item. Some people like gum and some like mints. In addition to fresh breath, this essential item also is said to help you concentrate and stay focused while studying. So be sure to grab a handful of mints next time you leave Upper or Marquis!

All of these items are a click away from you. So relax and take a stroll on Amazon for all these goodies or road trip to Target with friends! I realize these aren’t life or death essentials, but these packable items for your backpack could truly make your day, or another’s, way better.

Trying to elevate small talk to medium talk.
Krystyna Keller

Lafayette '21

Creating things since '98 Campus Correspondent for HC Lafayette