This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

The University of La Verne offers so many opportunities for students to get involved on campus. Whether you like planning student-run events, joining a social fraternity/sorority, having a voice in student government, or being the right-hand man for the president, the university has a place for you. These opportunities allow students to build their resumes, meet new people, and implement changes they want to see, thus making a difference for all parties involved. 

What’s the catch? Well, you need to actually apply/campaign for some of these positions, giving little incentive to students who are too lazy to do so.

Image Credit: La Verne CAB Instagram

You may have noticed flyers posted around campus urging students to apply for Orientation Week Leaders, Campus Activities Board, or even the Clubs and Organization Coordinator position. You also may have noticed some of these flyers had to extend their deadlines. Can this be as a result of low submission turnout? Are students no longer interested in taking positions on campus? How can the university continue to offer resources and events without having people to occupy or plan them?

As a student, you enjoy the events planned by ASULV, CAB, the various Greek organizations, and more. Leo Factor. Carniverne. Greek Perfect. Lavernapalooza. Destination Procrastination. Events planned on campus have always been created by these groups; therefore, they cannot be done when no one is interested enough to apply for the position.

Image Credit: ASULV Instagram

Did you know that not a single person applied to be the Senator for LaFetra College of Education? Did you know that there are over 2,700+ undergraduate students enrolled at the University of La Verne? Even if only a quarter of those students (675) were enrolled in the LaFetra College of Education, exactly 0% tried to take this position.

The University can use students in these areas because it lets administrators allow students to control their college education. Let’s be real if students have a say in how the university functions, there will be fewer complaints from students. Of course, there is an oversight from administrators, but students are the ones who make the difference!

Image Credit:  La Verne CAB Instagram

I encourage every student to make a difference by getting involved. Whether you are more interested in how the functions of the university work through student government, or maybe you want to put on events that engage fun activities with “free” stuff, you can’t do anything from laying in your dorm bedroom.

Get out there.

Take a risk.

Step out of your comfort zone.

Apply for positions you’re interested in and start taking control of the full college experience.

It’s never too late.

Hello, my name is Javier Lucatero! I'm a School Psychology, PPS masters student at the University of La Verne. Working in the educational field while building my experience for my career, I take part in Her Campus La Verne as a graduate student staff writer. My articles are random, blunt, and debatably very interesting. If you think there's something worth writing about, or feel I should address, let me know (@Javi_Lucatero) and I'll see what I can do! Thanks for reading!