Oatmeal Cookies That Will Make Your Grandma Jealous

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

This time of year always seems to have a heavy workload attached to it. As I am stressing one thing I love to do to relieve stress is bake! Now I know most would go to the market and buy that premade cookie dough that we all love to eat. But here, we are going to get down in the nitty-gritty. This is my recipe for some bomb oatmeal chocolate chip cookies that will knock your grandma’s socks off.

Gretchenhasthefloor.com

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup butter room temperature

2. 1 cup brown sugar tightly packed

3. 1/2 cup sugar

4. 2 large eggs

5. 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

6. 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

7. 2 teaspoons cornstarch

8. 1 teaspoon baking soda

9. 3/4 teaspoon salt

10. 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

11. 3 cups old fashioned rolled oats

12. 1-2 cups chocolate chips (or raisins if that’s your jazz)

I know it seems a lot but it will be worth it.

Equipment:

1. Two bowls

2. Electric beater

3. Spoon

4. Parchment paper or anything to keep the cookies from sticking

Adventuresofmel.com

Instructions:

1. Beat butter in the bowl of a stand mixer (or using an electric beater) for about 30 seconds.  Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy (stop to scrape down sides and bottom of the bowl).

2. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined.

3. Stir in vanilla extract.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. (FYI, it will get a little messy)

5. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until completely combined.  Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl so ingredients are well-mixed. (It will get harder to stir, prepare your muscles)

6. Gradually stir in oats until completely combined.  If using raisins ( I will quietly judge) or chocolate chips, stir them in at this point.

7. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. (Do not skip this step!! Believe me, it is worth the wait!)

8. Preheat oven to 375 F (190C) and prepare cookie sheets by lining with parchment paper.

9. Drop cookie by rounded 2-3 Tablespoon-sized ball onto parchment paper, spacing at least 2″ apart.

10. Bake on 375 F (190C) for 10-12 (edges should be slightly browned, centers may still be slightly underbaked but shouldn’t be raw, they’ll bake completely as they cool).   

11. Allow cookies to cool completely on cookie sheet before serving and eat.

12. Be ready to be complimented on how awesome your cookies are. (If you decide to share)

Lauren Miranda

La Verne '22

Hey my name is Lauren Miranda and I am a studying anthropology at the University of La Verne. I love to paint, draw, write, play my guitar, kayak, and fish. I always like to learn new things.