How to Keep Indoor Plants Alive: College Dorm Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

Hello beautiful people!

For those of you who do not know me, I am a huge fan and lover of nature- especially indoor plants. If you have not gotten the pleasure of meeting or seeing posts about my seven dorm plants (all of which I have named) stick with me for the tips and tricks of keeping the aesthetic greens alive, specifically in a college dorm.

Below are simple steps to maintaining the health and beauty of your plants. Although, when nurturing plants, you must keep in mind that each plant is different, meaning that you will have to try many watering and sunlight methods until you find the one your plant likes the best.

Step 1:

ALWAYS know what kind of plant you purchase. Knowing the name and type of plant you have will facilitate your research in watering methods and the amount of sunlight your plant will need. If you have already purchased a plant and have no idea what it is, don’t worry, take it to a local plant shop, and they will help you figure it out!

Step 2:

Keep the watering consistent. Try to water your plants on the same day every week. This will create a steady routine for your plant, allowing it to accomodate to the environment around it.

Step 3:

Do not water your plants from 12pm-6pm if they are standing in direct sunlight. This will cause the water to burn the leaves of the plant as well as create dark brown spots, which eventually can lead to dead leaves.

Step 4:

Use natural fertilizer. For my plants, I personally do not like to use chemicals or store bought fertilizer. I use banana peels to give nutrients to my plants. It is essential for plants like ferns to not only receive sunlight and water, but a form of nutrient for growth, as they are meant to be in tropical environments. Again, this will vary on the plant itself and research will be required in order to find the best form of nutrient for it.

So, now that you have learned a little about maintaining plant care within your very own dorm, it’s time to leave you with some parting information. It is actually scientifically proven that taking care of plants will increase the chances of you taking care of yourself! So, why not buy yourself a cute, aesthetic plant to keep in your room- you’ll thank me later! ;)

Carina Baca

La Verne '22

my bio