7 Inspirational Women To Channel This International Women’s Day!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Verne chapter.

In honor of International Women’s Day, here is a bit of an article to remind us all just how bad-ass many women are in our current society. The empowerment and inspiration that these women (and many, many more) radiate currently, have the ability to trickle down and impact so many others. With that in mind, here is a couple of women that stand out to me in making/being apart of the change toward women equality and unity, as well as a little bit of why they symbolize that change for me.

1. Emma Watson

Emma Watson is and has been an inspirational figure in society ever since she first appeard in the Harry Potter series. But, in all seriousness, Emma is such a genuine, true to her spirits type of star that she uses her platform for awareness. One of the first inspirational feminists in the media that come to mind is of course, Emma. She has not let the fame get to her ego, nor did it ever stop her from doing the things she loves, is passionate about, and has set in her goals: such as completing a bachelor’s degree at Brown University. 

2. Zoe Saldana

Zoe Saldana is the type of star that constantly reminds us that we should never be ashamed of who we are, or even how we would like to live our lives- that we need to embrace these aspects of ourselves. I also love that Zoe uses her platform to share the stories of a variety of people from different backgrounds, cultures, genders, sexualities, etc. She constantly reminds us that women deserve more and we deserve better. 

3. Jada Pinkett Smith

Jada Pinkett Smith continues to push limits by bringing controversial topics, stories, and lessons to the light and media with her Red Table Talk series. Her series is honestly my favorite thing to watch (aside from Ted Talks) that feels completely empathetic, educational, and eye-opening. It’s so awesome to be able to see women like Jada who strides for change through a series that allows for open conversations of topics that are typically taboo in society. 

4. Sophia Bush

Sophia Bush is definitely (in my opinion) one of the most hard-working, passionate celebrities out there in the sense that she will never give up on using her platform in order to inform, educate, remind, update, and fight for equality in the social reforms she believes in. To me, it’s simply unbelievably amazing that a celebrity genuinely uses social media as a beneficial outlet to raise awareness, rather than for self-motivated reasons/publicity.

5. Chrissy Teigen

Chrissy Teigen gives society such a genuine look into life in the limelight and reminds us all just how much she’s still like your everyday, average woman. She is a mother, wife, social media star, chef… honestly the list goes on and on with Chrissy that I’m sure the more suitable question to ask is what doesn’t she do? On top of all this, Chrissy remains her unconditionally funny, sarcastic, passionate self, which is super refreshing to see from such an admired woman in today’s society.

6. Malala Yousafzai

Malala Yousafzai. I literally cannot stress enough how amazing of a role-model she has been, especially for the impact she has made and continues to make on society, specifically for the education of women, at such a young age too! I personally cannot fathom the strength that it takes to rise up and fight at the age she began advocating for equal education for women in Pakistan and in general. 

7. Queen Elizabeth

Queen Elizabeth literally takes nothing from anybody- she’s the true definition as a trailblazer. To me, I truly believe that Queen Elizabeth was ahead of her time, from the second she became Queen and to this day and even especially when considering the fact that she rules within a Monarchy, where men are typically known to reign and she refuses to stop any time soon! 

Thank you all for reading and I hope you enjoyed, as well as agreed, with this short list among thousands of remarkable women in our society. I do also have hopes that you were able to get so much inspiration from this article in order to channel an outstanding woman who you view as a role-model in order to create your own personal empowerment, change, and the ability to support other women in their journies as well, because you never know just who you will impact! 

With love and support, xoxo!

*All images used in this article are from googleimages.com

Jackie Sanchez

La Verne '20

I am a junior English major, Educational Studies minor at the University of La Verne. I'm a girl who loves to write about things she's passionate about. I have hope that someday this world will be just, equal, and filled with love. My dream is to have a great impact in the lives of those around me, but until then I'm trying to learn and be open to as much as possible. Oh, and I love Disney.