This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Louisiana Tech chapter.

College, in a nutshell, can be overwhelming, complicated, and even confusing sometimes. It was never made to be easy nor made to make you feel that it’s an impossible task to achieve. Here are some tips for surviving college in both good and bad times.

Make a Plan

Stick to one that works for you. Planning helps so much in organizing assignments, projects, and tests. Knowing what’s happening beforehand will help you become prepared and on the right track to getting work done effectively. I don’t know where I would be if I didn’t have To Do lists. They help keep everything to the point and easy to see.

Making a Studying Playlist

Sometimes music helps retain focus. Researchers at Florida National University have studied the theory of playing music can help in multiple positive ways that affect the brain and even the body. However, music with lyrics can be distracting. Some people suggest that classical or instrumental music helps them stay focused while studying. Read about it here.

Make Friends

Making friends can help you in the long-run at college. This can help you learn better, develop different thinking techniques, making memories, and build new relations between people while enjoying your college days together.

Be Prepared

Always. Sometimes we find ourselves in situations that we didn’t realize we needed to prepare for. For me its: keeping an extra copy of my curriculum sheet for scheduling classes throughout the years to help keep track of my classes, writing down additional questions I might have for any meetings/appointments, keeping extra snacks and a bottle of water in my backpack for my commutes, and even bringing a notebook or tablet to take notes on for guest seminar held by the university. Anytime I had a task, I was prepared.

Get Serious

Sometimes we don’t feel like doing our work, the “senioritis” kicks in, and we would rather be doing something else instead. It happens. Taking your time and being serious doesn’t just help get the job done, it also adds value to what you’re learning. Don’t slack now, the work is almost done. John Wooden once said, “If you don’t have time to do it right. When will you have time to do it over?”  This is a great way of making sure the job gets done right the first time without having to do it over.

Know Your Limits

You know yourself and your limits. Don’t overwhelm yourself with impossibly hard classes or too many extracurricular activities. Test your workload or run a trial-and-error semester/quarter to know what you can handle. You don’t want to suffer trying to do the impossible if it’s not necessary.

College is not easy, but it’s not impossible. Figuring out what works for you is an easy way to help yourself enjoy your college years. Practice makes perfect, so tweak the steps to make your life smoother. Don’t forget these tips and have fun while you’re at it!

Gwendolyn is a Louisiana Tech University graduate with a Bachelor's Degree in English with a concentration in Creative Writing. She worked as a contributing writer under the La Tech HC Chapter. In her free time, she loves to read, write, edit, listen to music, watch movies, and explore new places and things. She plans to find work in book publishing for children's books.