This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at La Salle chapter.

A healthy lifestyle is a true essential to your everyday life. Now I know it may not be easy to be “healthy “all the time, but the benefits of having a healthier diet and or lifestyle can really improve the person you are and produce an overall balance in your life. People have a close-minded depiction of health. They normally relate the words, skinny, vegan, yoga, and three mile runs to what it means to be healthy, however this is wrong. Health is way more than those words and runs so much deeper than how many carbs a day someone consumed.

Being healthy is part of having an overall balance in your life. You may ask why, and it is because healthy living will provide you with a healthy mind and a healthy soul. For example, do you find yourself not wanting to get up in the morning and being tired midday? Do you ever feel a strange pressure on your body even if you are not stressed? Or, do you ever just find yourself in a negative space where you are not mentally stable? This is all due to a poor healthy lifestyle. The two main concepts that tie in to bettering your lifestyle is through working out and eating healthier. Getting up in the mornings is hard on a lot of people, but if you truly tried to either work out at home or make it to the gym bright and early, that work out will benefit your entire day. Your body feels noticeably different when you work it out. That heaviness that you feel over your shoulders will be gone. Your body needs to sweat, your muscles need to be stretched, and your body needs to build cardiorespiratory endurance. Not doing this will make your body feel heavy and tight which leads to the discomfort most of us feel and call the weight on our shoulders.

Dieting nowadays is a huge misconception. People believe they must be vegan or they must eat zero carbs. Carbs give you energy so please, eat your carbs! It does not have to be excessive. Realistically speaking, a “healthy” diet is mostly influenced with your portion size. Usually people will eat too much, but you can still eat your junk food sometimes just not as much. The nutrition aspect of a healthy lifestyle is a strong influencer on how our bodies feel daily. Eating junk won’t provide the effective nutrients your mind needs to work at its best every day. A big breakfast in the morning that consist of cereal or oatmeal with some fruit maybe covered with either peanut butter or sunbutter (for those with nut allergies) accompanied with a glass of milk or orange juice, will give you the energy to go about your day. You want to make sure that your first meal is the heaviest, that way you can work it out throughout the day and decrease portion sizes for your next meal or two. Your mind needs nutrients! Think about it, our brain is the primary organ in our body that allows us to function, whether it is through movement, speaking, or using our intellect. This organ is constantly working and we should treat it right.

All these factors contribute to an overall balance in your life. We need to realize that health is so much more. A healthy lifestyle will make all aspects of your life reach a balance. Balance is very key to our everyday lives. You will strive to be a better person and believe you can do so much more with a healthy lifestyle. Your mind will succeed, your confidence will rise, and you will be the best you that you can possibly me and then some. Trust me, healthy living is the way to go, so give it a try and let it guide you to the greatness of life.

Born in Colombia. Current Psychology Major.
Tyller Moorer

La Salle '20

Tyller is a graduate student-athlete Communication: Journalism major and English minor from New Jersey. She has a passion for writing and enjoys seeing her writing touch other people.