Five Things to Try If You’re Stressed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kutztown chapter.

Life can be stressful. Reducing stress and maintaining a happy, healthy mindset can prove to be difficult from time to time. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, take a step back and do things that bring you happiness.

Try something new, you might be surprised! Here are five things you can try when you’re feeling stressed.

1. Color!

I know you may be a bit skeptical about this one, but give it a try! There’s something about sitting down with pastels to color in some pretty, complex adult coloring books. It puts your mind at ease.

2. Read a book.

Get lost in the words. Fall in love with the characters. Go on an adventure. When you read, it’s as if you have entered an alternative-universe. For the few hours you sit reading, you’re only focused on the story unfolding in front of you.

3. Try Blackout poetry

I love to read and write as I find it calms me. Find an old book that you won’t read again (And aren’t too attached to) and find good anchor words the build a poem off of. Skim the page for phrases that stand out to you- make a poem! It was always interesting to me to refashion someone else’s words to say something entirely different. The great thing about blackout poetry is that it can be anything you want it to be! The words are already on the page, you create the tone depending on your word choice.

4. Go on a hike!

I think there is a lot to be said about connecting with nature, it’s very simplistic. You break free of all distractions and instead, take in the beauty around you. Find a hike with a great view at the top! Look around once you get all the way up and feel your stresses dissipate!

5. Drink a cup of tea.

Tea has many curative powers. Different teas contain different herbs that your body will love. Take time with your cup and enjoy each sip!

If all else fails, there is always wine and chocolate!

My name is Carmelina Stolzenberg and I'm a senior at Kutztown University. I've always been passionate about writing as it has helped me through my life experiences. Being an English major- writing is a huge part of my life. You can probably find me drinking green tea with a book in my hand on any given day. My goal for HerCampus is to write about topics I am inspired by and share them with an audience that can hopefully find something to relate to in my writing.