Why the KU Workout Classes Deserve More Hype

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Coming from someone who has had a love-hate relationship with the gym, working out in college is difficult. Despite walking the treacherous hills to class every day, sitting in class and studying seems to put our bodies in a kind of funk. Logically, this would push me and others to take advantage of the college recreation center and get our bodies moving; however, this doesn’t seem to be the case (at least for me).

The rec is intimidating. The first time I went, I ended up running on the treadmill for 15 minutes and doing a pitiful attempt at a HIIT workout; I couldn’t find any of the equipment I used at my gym at home, and I felt like 100 judgmental eyes were on me, noticing my incoordination. Needless to say, I did not feel like repeating that experience. I began to consider the rec center as just another building on campus that I would not be using. That is, until my roommates forced me to go to an actual workout class.

I LOVED IT. This class probably was one of my favorite things I’ve done so far on campus. First of all, it was not super difficult; I had not consistently worked out for probably two weeks, and I still found this class doable. Second of all, it was actually enjoyable. Upbeat, popular music was playing, and my friends and I were basically smiling the whole time. Not to mention that the instructors are incredibly kind and non-judgmental. 

Each class is different. Some are definitely more of a workout than others. HIIT and BARRE ABOVE are what I consider to be the harder classes, but if you want a fun class with tons of movement, I would recommend MIXXEDFIT (definitely go to this class if you like to shake your ass). All the classes are at the same time each week and are posted on the rec’s website.

Each class only costs $3 each time you go, or you can get a semester pass for $25 (I swear this isn’t an ad). Everyone has fun, no one judges you, you get a good workout and an opportunity to hang with friends; it’s a win-win-win. So, let me know if you’re planning on going to a class; you might see me and my roomies there. 

Hi my name is Audrey! I'm majoring in Strategic Communications at KU- so excited for you to take a look at my writing:)