What to do when you don’t know what you’re doing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As the semester wraps up, students busy themselves with final papers and start enrolling for the Spring 2014 semester. For freshmen and sophomores, it’s just another semester down. But for upperclassmen, it starts to become all too real. Graduation is looming closer and closer, and you still have no idea what the hell you’re doing. Here’s a few tips for figuring out what to do when you don’t know what you’re doing.

1. Think about your interests 

This sounds obvious, but I’m being serious. If you love something, go after it. Like the internet? You can literally get a master’s degree in social media now. Enjoy talking to people? Take a communications class. College is your oyster, and most people never find out what they’re passionate about before they’re too old to do anything about it. It’s not too late to keep exploring what you love, especially if you feel stuck in a major that you don’t belong in. 

2. Don’t freak out

An undergrad degree doesn’t determine where you’ll end up (for the most part). Just because that girl from your high school just posted a Facebook status about graduating in three years doesn’t mean that you should feel pressured to do the same. Don’t worry if you can’t seem to find a job or internship; they will come around again in a few months. Focus on finishing college with a good GPA and don’t worry too much about what the future may or may not have in store for you. Isn’t there a quote from “Harold & Kumar” that goes, “The universe tends to unfold as it should”? Yeah, that’s a dumb movie, but that’s a great life lesson. Everything will fall into place eventually. Your stress about the situation won’t change the outcome.

3. Apply everywhere

If you’re stuck in a financial rut and really worried about getting hired straight out of college, then start applying, and don’t stop until you get hired. Just because you’re a recent college grad doesn’t mean you’re not qualified for some higher positions. You may have more experience than you think, and who knows, maybe they’ll be impressed at how bold you are. After all, what have you got to lose? A job you don’t even have yet? Even if you’re not sure what you want to even end up doing, you need to start somewhere. You might just fall in love with a company you didn’t even know existed.

4. Start saving

Just because you don’t have a plan doesn’t mean you can’t plan for not having a plan. Cut back on your online shopping and set aside a little money each month to have as an emergency fund. You’re going to have expenses after graduation, and there’s no harm in keeping that in mind now. Even starving artists need to eat.

5. Have fun

Remember, you’re still in college. There is no “real world” after graduation; you’re still living in the real world, it’s just a softer, more cushy version of it. You’re no less human and worth no less than a 45-year-old who makes six figures and has a wife and two kids. Don’t neglect your friends and don’t neglect your happiness just because you’re a little freaked out. Nobody has died because they haven’t figured out their direction in life (yet…. hopefully you’re not the first). Remember to keep staying up too late and eating good food and laughing until your sides hurt, because this is the best and most carefree time of your life. Make it count.

Journalism student at KU from Texas with a passion for food, pugs and the Internet.