nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Unrecognizable: 14 Ways To Feel Like Yourself Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

You know those days, even weeks that you just don’t feel like yourself? When you look in the mirror and don’t fully recognize yourself? The confusion because you can’t quite put your finger on why you aren’t feeling like yourself, because you’re always looking for a reason to justify feelings and moods. You might be mad at yourself for feeling stuck in a rut for no reason. It’s okay to not understand yourself fully all the time. It sucks to feel like you’re going through the motions of everyday life without passion, drive or enthusiasm. Not feeling like yourself sucks. Everyone experiences it once in a while. You are not alone. I can’t tell you why you may be feeling the way you do, but I can help encourage you. I can tell you the things I practice when I can feel myself slipping into an unrecognizable state of being.

1. Call your mama. I guarantee she knows you better than anyone else. Hearing her voice will make you feel like you’re being wrapped up in the most luxe, cozy blanket. She sees the real you. She’s known your heart from the beginning of your time.

Credit​: gfycat.com

2. Write a list of what you’re grateful for. I swear there is magic in writing. It helps bring healing. The physical act of putting pen to paper is so therapeutic.

3. Take a walk. Maybe even with no place to go. Remind yourself that there is beauty in the abilities you have. To feel, to move, to see, to hear, to touch, and to smell. These things are truly incredible and so easy to take for granted.

4. Listen to your favorite artist. Their songs will jolt you back to the happiest of times. Let your mind wander to good memories. Sometimes it’s fun to escape the present for a few moments. Which leads me to my next activity…

5. Dance around your room like a freak to your favorite childhood songs. Just listening to songs from younger years gives you yet another chance to take a time machine to the good ole days. These trigger reminders of who you are and all you’ve gone through in order to be the incredible human you are today.

Credit: AOL.com

6. Unplug. Such a simple concept, but it can be so difficult to do. There’s already enough noise in your head, no need to always add to it.

Credit: SAYS Malaysia

7. Put on your favorite lingerie and robe and strut, Honey! Okay, this might sound a bit crazy and out there to the shy girls. Let me tell you, it is so important to feel sexy! It makes you feel like a badass who can conquer the world. Your body is beautiful, and your heart is beautiful. Center yourself and remind yourself of your purpose and worth, beauty queen.

8. Smile. I don’t care if it’s fake. Put on a damn smile. Just like you’re allowed to feel sad, you’re also allowed to feel happy. Smiling is contagious. Even if you aren’t convinced by your smile, if you can make others believe it, they will smile a real smile. That, my friends, will make you happy. And guess what? That might cause you to smile a little bit too. 

Credit: Giphy

9. Take a deep breath. “It’s a funny thing that we forget sometimes. We’re so scared that we are going to die, we forget to do the thing that keeps us alive. Breathe.” –This Is Us. As I was watching this show, my eyes immediately welled up with tears hearing these words. They are so damn true, but they are insanely forgotten.

10. Remind yourself of your goals. Why are you where you are? Why are you doing what you’re doing? If you don’t know, or if you don’t like where you are, make a change. At the end of the day, the only one truly stopping you is you. You have control over your choices and actions, but once you believe that other people control those things, you’re handing over all the power. Don’t do this to yourself. You deserve the world. We all do.

11. Make your favorite meal. Or order it in. Everything in moderation, but eating your favorite food can bring you happiness. We could all use more happiness in our lives.

12. Do something that makes you feel pretty. It’s as simple as that. It changes the game. When I’m feeling down, even when I’m feeling under the weather, I take a hot shower, give my hair a quick blowout, put on a spicy fit, and slather on the glossiest gloss I own. It works ten times out of ten.

Credit​: Giphy

13. Be thankful. Thank whoever you attribute this life to: your Creator, the Universe, Science, your family. Whomever or whatever it may be. Be grateful. Don’t waste the life you get to live. Because you only get one, and there are no re-do’s.

14. Don’t let your rut last forever. Don’t let it last another day. Rest up and put on your big girl panties. Because you are a badass, and no one knows you better than you know yourself. Thank yourself for the opportunity to be lost, because it helped you understand yourself better and focus on where you want to go from here. Use the time that you didn’t recognize yourself to your advantage. Don’t let it hinder you. Chop, Chop. Our time is ticking. Sending all of my love to each and every one of you lovely people. As always, xoxo.

Hannah is currently a Sophomore at The University of Kansas studying Strategic Communications in the School of Journalism with a minor in Business. She is from Portland, Oregon. Hannah is your stereotypical Oregonian: a vegetarian who loves the outdoors. You can find her "ooohing"and "ahhhing"over all things beauty in her free time and chatting it up with old and new friends. She finds passion in helping people feel beautiful and strong from the inside, out.