Six Inexpensive Ways to Treat Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

The semester is picking up pace and so is the stress. The business of classes, work and extracurricular activities can consume most hours of our day and when we get too overwhelmed, our performance can suffer. It’s important to remember to take time for ourselves and unwind from the chaos of our lives. Here are six ways to treat yourself without spending tons of money:

1. Movie binge: Netflix is great for having a binge night. You can find a television series to watch a whole season in one night or an unlimited amount of chick flicks. Movies are great for escaping reality for awhile and getting wrapped up in a story. Get together with a few friends, supply yourself with plenty of snacks and delve into the six seasons of Gossip Girl or start Pretty Little Liars from the beginning.

2. Beauty box subscription: These are monthly subscriptions to receive a goodie box filled with beauty products once a month. Nail polish, makeup and hair styling products are a few things you might get to try. New beauty products can help you build more confidence so that you can focus on getting your bigger projects done. Birchbox is $10 a month and you get five decently sized samples. Goodebox is a little bit more at $16 a month, but features products that tend to be more natural and organic.

3. Baking: Pinterest is a hotspot for recipes galore. You can find cookies, cupcakes, truffles and other creative desserts. It’s easy to find healthier, alternative recipes as well. Find something that sounds yummy and whip up a batch. You can save them to munch on throughout a busy week or share with some friends.

4. DIY project: Finding a do-it-yourself project can allow you to embrace your creative side while making something functional at the same time. Pinterest is also a good inspiration for these projects. You can find organizational projects like this board with a to-do list, calendar and shopping list. You might try making some wall art to cozy up your apartment or check out this tutorial on how to jazz up your wine glasses. Most DIY projects are inexpensive but make for a fun afternoon.

5. Nature: Get some fresh air. The outdoors have a lot to offer. Try taking a walk through a park, watching a sunset or having a picnic. The Recreation Center allows students to rent equipment for camping, backpacking or canoeing if you’re a little more adventurous. 

6. Game night: Host a game night with some friends. Ask them to bring their favorite board games or bust out old ones from childhood. Cards Against Humanity or Apples to Apples are good if you have a large group of people together. You could also try to find a trivia game that tests your knowledge over a favorite movie. Snacks are always an added bonus.

Just remember that we all need time to ourselves, too.

Junior majoring in journalism and minoring in business at the University of Kansas. Experience as an entertainment correspondent for the University Daily Kansan and news writer for Her Campus, with an emphasis on lifestyle writing. CO Campus Rep. Dabbles in the art of love letter writing for More Love Letters.lawrencefoodie.wordpress.com