Safe Alternatives For Achieving That Summer Glow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

No matter what, your natural skin tone will always be your best look. However, I do understand not wanting to look “pale,” I really do. And because of that reason, I have requested the help of my amazing friend/roommate, Kasey, in compiling a list of healthy, sunless, alternatives for keeping that desired glow all year long.

But first, a little background information about Kasey:

At just 17 years old, Kasey was diagnosed with melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. She had used tanning beds all through high school and before vacations in middle school. Like many, Kasey didn’t think she would get skin cancer.

Since her diagnosis, it has been Kasey’s mission to inform the public about the dangers of tanning. I too, want to help prevent all of you beautiful collegiattes from ever experiencing this disease. Like I mentioned before, I understand wanting to have a healthy glow, and these products are a safe way to get just that!

St. Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse (We gave this away at our Teen Vogue Back-to-School event!)

Kasey says: Use this product at night. Be sure to wear dark clothing to bed, as you don’t want the lotion to stain your clothing. Rinse off before exercising or any activity that might get your skin wet, though rinsing off in the morning would be the best way to go. You never know when the sprinkler will go off or someone will spill something on you! (Seriously, though.)

P.S. The Tan Applicator Mitt is definitely worth purchasing. No one wants streaks or orange hands!

Banana Boat Sunless Tan Lotion

Kasey says: Be sure to use gloves when applying this product. It can get really dark, so use lightly around the ankles, wrists, elbows and knees. I wouldn’t recommend using this lotion every day. Every other, or twice a week will do just fine.

Jergens® Natural Glow FACE Daily Facial Moisturizer SPF 20

Kasey says: This is a really great product for achieving an even tone on your face. PLUS it has SPF 20. NEVER leave your house without SPF!

Airbrush Tanning

Kasey says: If you’re going on vacation or getting ready for a wedding, I would suggest getting an airbrush tan. The person applying it will be sure to go light on the hands, knees and ankles. They will also make the tan as dark as you prefer, by adding more layers.

Even though your summer “glow” may be fading, these tips and tricks will allow you to maintain a faux glow all through the winter!

Please always practice safe sun, and be sure to stay away from those tanning beds!

HCXO,

Brea and Kasey

Brea Cudney is currently a senior at the University of Kansas, majoring in Communication Studies, with a minor in Journalism. Brea is an avid fan of The Office, addicted to pickles, obsessed with squirrels and a lover of all things crimson and blue. Rock Chalk!