Wellness

The Nutritional Drawbacks of Maintaining a Vegan Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

This week, I had to make a presentation for a class called Stuff You Should Know. I decided to make veganism the topic of my presentation. More specifically, the cons of veganism that nobody really talks about. I was able to find out some new information that I found interesting about the vegan diet. This information was new to me, and I thought that others would find it interesting as well.

assorted variety of vegetables on table
Photo by Nadine Primeau from Unsplash

Most of us have heard about going vegan. Vegans maintain a diet that includes seeds, fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, and beans. Vegans stay away from all animal products in order to reduce their carbon footprint and animal exploitation. Veganism has been glorified on social media and by society. Many people are vegan and enjoy seeking out vegan restaurants or options in their area.

Vegan dinner and vegetables on a table
Photo by Ella Olsson from Pexels

What isn’t mentioned much though is the nutritional drawbacks that veganism can have. Here is a list that I found in my research about possible deficiencies while maintaining a vegan diet.

1. Soy protein sources can cause hormone disruptions and higher heavy metal intake

2. Risk of anemia due to a lack of heme iron

(Heme iron is a specific iron that the body needs. Heme iron is more absorbable to the body.)

3. Increased risk of depression with low omega-3 fatty acid intake

(Omega-3’s are usually found in seafood. They have a big impact on your brain function.)

4. Risk of Vitamin B12 deficiency

5. Inhibition of zinc absorption on vegan and vegetarian diets

Grocery Shopping
    Photo by Mehrad Vosoughi from Unsplash

These facts were surprising to me because I thought that veganism was very healthy. Many people fail to realize that not everyone is built to sustain the vegan diet. If you are considering going vegan, make sure that it is a healthy choice for your body. If you are currently vegan, you should look into what your body could potentially be deficient in. If you are missing one or more of these things, you should possibly look into taking supplements that contain these vital items.

I am a sophomore at the University of Kansas studying Strategic Communications and Journalism. I am very interested in beauty, fashion, and trends! This page will most likely be mostly about those things, but I'm sure that I will throw some more stuff into the mix.