harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

The Importance of Always (!!) Scheduling Things to Look Forward to

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

As spooky season has officially commenced (& thus my use of the word spooky in every sentence, as well as in place of any other adjective for the ENTIRETY of the month-hehe), the “holiday season” has officially begun!

Image Credit: Giphy

The months of October through December are without a doubt fan favorites. Which comes as no surprise, given that at this time of year there is always something to look forward to!

October entails welcoming our favorite cutie, fall, with open arms. Autumn themed activities and Halloween prep galore.

October’s over?

No problem.

November is here.

We are quickly counting down to Thanksgiving break, Black Friday, and the official start of the holiday season!! 

December comes along, and she is THAT month. 

(holiday season bUt also finals sO..)

Image Credit: Tenor

However, as with everything in life (including finals), this too shall pass and we conclude the season’s festivities with whole & happy hearts at the opportunity and blessing it is do another year with the people we love. :,)

Image Credit: New trending GIF online

My point being, the most wonderful time of year is truly the most wonderful, because at this time of year there is ALWAYS something to look forward to.

That being said, it is important that we implement this mentality and go out of our way/make an effort to schedule things we look forward to all year long!

Image Credit: Giphy

It is easy to fall into what seems an uneventful routine (& routines are helpful & healthy don’t get me wrong!), but in doing so it’s also easy to get stuck into the same pattern of thinking and thus getting all in your head about day to day stresses, inconveniences, hardships, and all the obstacles in between.

Image Credit: @crazyheadcomics on Instagram (I highly recommend reading the caption on this post here, it sums up the powerful & positive impact that looking forward to the little & big things can have very nicely:)

Your mind begins to deceive you into believing that your daily routine, and knowing what to expect, is all there is and ever will be! But, that’s not the case!  

There is always something good coming & having things to look forward to is essential towards keeping yourself motivated, excited, and happy.

Image Credit: Giphy

The things that excite you are the things that make life good.

What I like to do for scheduling things (big & small) to look forward to are as follows…

→ I personally like to map and plan out my week on Sunday nights & place all my classes, appointments, and events on both my monthly and weekly spread. Doing both, is helpful for me because I enjoy having both perspectives and visuals in front of me!

Image Credit: Giphy

→ I enjoy color coding and making note of the things I GET to do and the friends I GET to see. Rather, than the tasks I HAVE to do. I find that this keeps me approaching things with more gratitude and keeps me more motivated during the week too.

Image Credit: Giphy

Also, when it comes to happily anticipating things, part of the excitement is in preparing for it!!

→ This can in fact allow for more productivity to ensue as well, as it increases your motivation to get annoying chores and tasks you HAVE to do out of the way. This way you can get it all done fast, so you can indulge in the things you enjoy, and are looking forward to even SOONER. 

Image Credit: dciv.com

Just a reminder too-

Halloween, Thanksgiving, and the Holiday Season in itself are biiig monthly events (with endless parties, gatherings, food, fashion, friends, & family). 

→ BUT, 

This is your reminder that throughout your days, weeks, months, & year you don’t always have to have a massive event planned in order to look forward to something!

I look forward to all the little things I schedule into my day, honestly, more than anything else?? (& these can be personal to you too, obviously:)

I look forward to:

• Making a cup of tea & watching YouTube before bed after doing my homework & studying all night

Image Credit: Giphy

• Going to Target with my mom on the weekends :,)

Image Credit: Gifer

• Facetiming my friends that are far away

• Watching a new video uploaded by one of my favorite youtubers (I do love YouTube oopsy. hehe.)

• Allotting time to paint or color at the end of the day

• Trying a new ice cream flavor

Image Credit: Giphy

• Wearing a new outfit 

Image Credit: Giphy

All in all, if you take anything away from this, I hope it is that there is always time to make for the things and people that bring you joy, and that there is always something good coming.

Image Credit: Pinterest

Life also might be tough right now (though you are tough too), it means something better is coming and slowly but surely making its way towards you. Remember that whatever you are looking for, is looking for you too.

Keep your head up, plan ahead, and live your life always looking forward to the opportunity and blessing that it is to do another day. 

Image Credit: Giphy

Hi, I'm Deema! I'm a senior at the University of Kansas majoring in Marketing with a minor in Psychology! I enjoy all things fashion, makeup, mental health, and music related -especially my queen, @arianagrande.