Wellness

HOW TO SURVIVE THE WINTER

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.
For anyone who needs a warm hug this winter, I am Laying down my best secrets to get you through the cold spell and into a warmer era.

1. SUNLIGHT LAMP

Screen Shot 2023 11 08 at 2.29.35 PMIMG 1548IMG 1548

This is literally my sunlight lamp in my bedroom. A little TMI, but I swear by this product. On the days I get up at 6AM to workout in the mornings and my 8AM morning class schedule (death to my soul), I use my sunlight lamp to help me feel energized when it is absolutely pitch black outside. Especially now that daylight savings has passed, I need all the help I can get to feel energized and ready to start my day. The orange hue helps your mind adjust to the morning just as you would during a sunrise. This product keeps me start the day in a good mood and helps prevent any negative moments from ever starting.

2. WARM KNITTED BLANKETS

Screen Shot 2023 11 08 at 2.47.16 PM

Having a warm knitted blanket this winter will help you feel cozy and comforted in the freezing temperatures. On top of that, I am all for knitted activities. My personal favorite, crocheting and embroidering. These activities are great for getting out of a funk because they are repetitive and allow your mind the space to rest and relax from real life worries.

3. COZY INDOOR PICNICS

Screen Shot 2023 11 08 at 2.51.15 PM

What is a cozy, indoor picnic? A cozy, indoor picnic is a cup of hot tea with the YouTube recording of a fireplace in the background, next to your mini Christmas LED lights along your bedroom walls. All while watching a nostalgic movie from 2000’s Disney Channel and Gilmore Girls reruns. (Too specific?—My regular, indoor picnics hit!)

4. THERMAL STOCKINGS

Screen Shot 2023 11 08 at 2.48.22 PM

These are the best functional and fashionable pair of stockings I have yet to come across. Any person trying to get a peak up your skirt will be sorry because nothing is getting through these no-show thermal stockings.

5. Do something silly

Screen Shot 2023 11 09 at 8.25.07 AM

Get out of character and shake off the comb webs. Dance in the morning, play with a pet, take a shower or bath, wear new clothes, listen to a new band, and try something you wouldn’t otherwise try. Sometimes, the best thing we can do for ourselves is to change our routine and live a little more, moment to moment.

Whatever life circumstances are hitting you hard, cry it out and do your thing, but don’t stay down forever. Give yourself the joy of joy by reminding yourself nothing is permanent and things will change.

Screen Shot 2023 11 09 at 8.23.50 AM

Hi, my name is Sara Galapo. This is my first year as a writer for the University of Kansas Her Campus Chapter. I am a senior, studying business analytics in the fitness technology industry. I am excited to dip my toes into creative writing this year and hope to write a novel in the future. I use my experience in data analytics, investment banking, research, psychology, and student teaching roles to cover a variety of topics, including academics, career, lifestyle, nutrition, fitness, fashion, and beauty. This past summer, I spent mornings and evenings learning about street fashion in San Francisco on my daily commute to work.