HC KU Takes Body Boutique and Color Studio

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

On Sunday, November 23, the Her Campus KU team was excited to visit Body Boutique and Color Studio (cs_color) on 9th and Iowa in Lawrence. Our team was treated to an amazing workout where we got to sample four different workout classes that Body Boutique offers everyday, plus one of our members, Amanda Wilson, was rewarded for going above and beyond for HC KU with a free new hairstyle courtesy of Color Studio.

Body Boutique and Color Studio are sister stores, owned by two sisters who wanted to reform how women view health and beauty. Body Boutique is a gym for women by women (much like Her Campus!). You can really feel the difference when you walk into this gym- instead of being surrounded by intimidating and sometimes smelly men, at Body Boutique you get to be surrounded by women of all sizes, shapes, interests and skill sets who share a common goal of fitness. Body Boutique just went through a renovation, and offers personal training, group fitness classes, a spa and massages. A student membership is as little as $30 a month- while it maybe a little more expensive than the Rec, the benefits definitely can make it worth it. You can find out more about them and how to enroll on their website.

Our girls were treated to tastes of four classes: Body Pump with Sheila, Body Step & Body Attack with Rasha, and Body Flow with Kristi. Body Pump really worked our muscles, giving most of us a first chance at using weights while working out. Body Step and Body Attack were great cardio workouts, with catchy music and fun beats. Lastly, we slowed down with a yoga-based workout that really had us utilize our core and brought us to a great state of balance.

Our girls enjoying Body Step

Events Director Heidi showing off her muscles

HC KU gets fit

While the rest of the girls sampled classes, events member Amanda was treated to a cut and color from Lavonna McAlister, owner and master stylist at The Color Studio. The Color Studio is a progressive, fun salon that specializes in hair design, skin therapy and waxing. Amanda started out wanting to have her hair treated so that it will grow faster, plus get some new highlights to accentuate her blonde hair. Lavonna explained to the group what she planned to do for Amanda based on her face shape and skin tone and set to work! Below are before and after photos of Amanda.

Before

After

“I am extremely honored to get the full color studio treatment that Her Campus arranged! Lavonna was incredible and I can’t wait to go back in the future. She knew exactly what I wanted and made me feel 100% comfortable!” said Amanda.”Thank you to Color Studio for the awesome hair transformation, to Body Boutique for the workout classes, and to Her Campus for this incredible experience!”

HC KU wants to thank Body Boutique and Color Studio for their awesome treatment and we can’t wait to go back!

Laura Lyndall Fagen is a junior at the University of Kansas majoring in Strategic Communications and Theater. She is a Big Sister with Big Brothers Big Sisters and loves all things volunteering.