samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Ways to Ease Your Mind During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With the dreaded finals week right around the corner I’m sure most of you have papers, projects and books to read stacked up a mile high. It’s easy to get caught up in the stress and worrying about grades, but keep your mind and body in check with these few simple tips:

1. Always, always sleep: Yes, it’s easy, okay well not for me but for all you really dedicated students out there, to pull an all-nighter studying for that chem test that is sure to ruin your life. “Memory recall and ability to maintain concentration are much improved when an individual is rested. By preparing early and being able to better recall what you have studied, your ability to perform well on exams is increased,” said Dr. Philip Alapat, medical director, Harris Health Sleep Disorders Center, and assistant professor, Baylor College of Medicine. So close the books and shut your eyes. It is recommended that students get 8-9 hours of sleep a night. https://www.harrishealth.org/en/news/pages/sleep-key-doing-well-exams.aspx

2.  Don’t stress eat: You read that right. There’s such a thing, believe me I know. Just like the binge eating that comes from the rage of emotion during that certain time of the month, stress eating is all too real. Sure stuffing your face full of cheesy, steaming hot pizza with pepperonis the size of your head may sound  like a good idea while cramming last minute for your final the next day, but don’t do it; Back away from the pizza, put the handful of cookies back and grab a healthier treat. According to an article on what to eat while studying, foods that have high protein content are the best choice. The article also says that when studying late in the evening it is useful to replenish your glucose (sugar) levels with foods that contain natural sugars such as fruit. Skip the sugary drinks though because these will just lead to fatigue and a lack of concentration. Healthyeating.sfgate.com/foods-eat-studying-5250.html

3.  Take a run: I know you are probably reading this and yelling at the computer screen “who has time to work out when I have a million other things to do?” You probably think I’m crazy, but just do it, I promise it will help. Taking a break from all the studying and papers will help relieve the stress you’ve built up; it takes your mind off school for a while. Whether it’s an hour break or even just a short run, get off your butt and get your blood flowing. If you absolutely can’t put your notes down just bring them with you to the gym. Walk on the treadmill or stair master while reading over your notes; just be careful where you step!

4. Go to a yoga class: If running just ain’t your thing, don’t fret, yoga will do the trick too! I don’t know about you but when I’m having a stressful day yoga helps me unwind and just forget about everything. Yoga plays off mind muscle coordination as well as using breathing leaving little room for the school mumbo jumbo you have floating around in there. If the yoga poses are a little challenging feel free to just lay there are breathe.

5.  Cry, scream, or sing, just let it all out: Do just that. Don’t let all the stress and emotions of finals week bring you down too much. Feel like crying? Cry your eyes out. Feeling like screaming and getting out the frustration built up towards your group mates? Scream and scream some more. Can’t take silence anymore? Belt out those hardcore rap lyrics and let that rapper lose!