This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Recently, a lot of different influencers and celebrities have been “soft launching” their relationships. There has been a recent trend of relationships being private, but not secret. In my own experience, there is a lot more intimacy in keeping my partner and I’s relations between us. I love to go out on dates in public, but sometimes it can be hard when I know it’s not just us. I value my partner being there with me, but I want to be able to spend time with just the two of us. How can I do this when it feels like the only option is laying in bed watching TV? It can be hard finding fun date ideas that do not involve being around tons of other people. If you’re looking to plan your next date, but you aren’t wanting to go be in public, try one of these date ideas!

Take a Masterclass

While watching one of my favorite YouTuber’s, Alyx Weiss, I stumbled across one of her sponsors. Masterclass is a website that provides online classes to anyone who is interested in picking up a new skill. They have just about everything from how to do your makeup to how to write and produce a song. Although not all of these sound like traditional date ideas, they have different classes that tend to you and your partner’s interests. Not only do they offer a wide variety of options, but they’re also led by your favorite celebrities! My personal favorites that I have seen are RuPaul, Bill Nye the Science Guy, and Hillary Clinton. With over 180 classes to choose from you can plan tons of date ideas. A fee of $15 is billed for a monthly subscription. Put one of these masterclasses on your tv, laptop, etc. and pick up a new skill! Really, this date can be whatever you want it to be!

Cook a Meal

As much as everyone loves going out and eating in a restaurant, it can start to get expensive to eat food you may not even like. Instead of trying to find a restaurant you both like, try finding a recipe and spending time cooking it together. For good recipe ideas, I really like the websites Delish and Bon Appetit. Both websites have hundreds of different recipes to choose from. After you and your partner decide on a dish, make a trip to your local grocery store together. This can be any type of grocery store, but if you want to mimic the fancy restaurant experience I recommend trying an upscale grocery store like Whole Foods. If your recipe includes some sort of meat, try contacting your local butcher to see if they have what you are looking for. Turning the whole experience into a date makes the date ten times more special. After you have all of the ingredients, find a time where you and your partner can cook together. Maybe put on a playlist and light a candle. I will always prefer listening to soft jazz while cooking than listening to the chatter of a fully seated restaurant before I eat. After you’re done cooking, plate your meal as desired and feast upon your creation! Depending on how you go about all of this, this date can end up being the same price or less expensive than going to a fine dining experience. Regardless of the cost, the quality time you will have spent with your partner is priceless. Don’t forget to kiss the cook!

Do a Guided Craft

One traditional date I hear a lot about is going to an art studio and doing a guided painting with a big group. If big groups aren’t you thing, try this at home! Look up “guided painting” on YouTube and you will find a multitude of videos. Bob Ross is a classic for this. Painting isn’t everyone’s thing, so you could also try building a craft. Check your local craft and hobbies store to see what options they have! Most craft stores have a variety of options like soap making, knitting and crocheting, and (my personal favorite) model making kits! Most of these crafts have tutorials that you can follow on YouTube. Although this craft isn’t found in one of these types of stores, my personal favorite idea for this date is building a Lego! If you check out the Lego website, you will find oodles of different Legos you and your partner can build together! My personal favorites have been the Lego Bouquet’s and the Lego Architecture options. While they are on the pricey side, these also function as decoration! Plus, they’re a sweet reminder of the date.

Self Care Night

A self care night is the perfect date for you and your partner to do to decompress after a stressful week. You can start the night with a movie or some of your favorite TV shows, then partake in all different kinds of self care activities. If you or your partner are really into skincare, take some time to go through your routines. Take turns while one person relaxes and the other gives the facial. This is a great opportunity to try new skincare that one of you has been eyeing. If you don’t have any specific skincare regimens, take time before to do research on what you may use. It doesn’t have to be anything fancy, but there are tons of great options to choose from! If you don’t know where to start, reach out to your local Sephora or Ulta to see if they have any recommendations for your skin type. If you or your partner experiences soreness from frequent physical activity, alternate giving each other massages. Look into different essential oils and lotions you could use! There are plenty of guided meditations you and your partner can use to decompress together. Really, you have complete freedom on what you choose to do here. It is really important that you and your partner are in tune with each others wants and needs so you can do what best fits each other.

Start a New Game

Not every couple plays video games, but this would be a great option for those who do! Depending on what consoles you use, there are a bunch of different options to choose from. Unravel Two is a multiplayer sequel game created by EA where yarn creatures have a series of quests and puzzles they must complete as they venture across their world. Stardew Valley has a co-op option where the players can work together to create a sustainable farm. The game offers a bunch of different activities such as mining, fishing, farming, raising animals, foraging, cooking, and more! The players do all of this while trying to uncover a mystery within the town. While these aren’t the only options, there are tons to choose from that best suit you and your partners interests! You and your partner can spend a night eating your favorite snacks and working together and ultimately winning your games!

While I am sure there are tons of other options to choose from, these suggestions just provide a rough idea of what you can do for your next date. The main goal should be personalizing your date to be what you and your partner want. Once you have an idea of what you want to do, just go with the flow! You will never forget the quality time you spent with your partner.

Hey! I’m Rosemary from KU. I love to write and I spend a lot of my time doing so. I also enjoy animals, reading, nature, spending time with loved ones, and live music.