organization apps?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
organization apps?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Health

5 Things to Do When You’re Bored Instead of Scrolling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

With school starting, college kids like me are constantly on our laptops or tablets working on homework and studying. When you’re using technology to work so much during the day, it’s important to take breaks. It can be really easy, though, to just open up Instagram or TikTok on your phone and spend this break time mindlessly scrolling. If you’re like me, you may get to the end of the day and realize that you’ve spent most of it staring at a screen. 

According to the American Optometric Association, looking at screens too much can cause computer vision syndrome, which presents itself with symptoms like headaches, eyestrain, and even neck and shoulder pain. Not only can staring at a screen too much hurt your eyes but it can hurt your brain too. Dr. Victoria Dunckley tells Psychology Today that too much screen time can disrupt your sleep, cause sensory overload, and more. This all makes it incredibly important to take breaks from screens altogether throughout the day, rather than switching from one screen to another. So, here are five things you can do when you’re bored that aren’t scrolling on your phone.

1. Go on a Walk

Going on a walk not only gets you away from your screen, but it gets you outside! Fresh air and sunshine make almost any situation better, especially a long, stressful study sesh. Going on a walk can help you clear your mind and get some exercise. As a college student, it can be hard to find time for exercise, but even a ten-minute walk as a study break can be beneficial.

1. Read a Book

Reading something fun is a great way to spend your downtime. Some people may argue that reading requires almost as much effort as studying, but there are so many easy reads out there that you can just mindlessly enjoy. Also, a study done at the University of Sussex found that reading can reduce stress by up to 68%!

1. Do Something Creative

For many college students, the analytical and logical parts of the brain are in constant use. It’s important to take a break from this and keep the creative part of your brain active. You can do this by painting, knitting, doing a craft kit, baking, and more. I find that working on a paint-by-number is great for relaxing after a stressful homework session.

1. Journal

Staying in tune with your emotions and mental health is difficult, even when you’re not a full-time student. Taking some time, even as little as a ten-minute study break, to check in with yourself and sort out how you’re feeling is important. I find that writing in a journal is a good way to articulate and identify what’s going on in my mind, especially when I’m having more difficult feelings like stress or frustration.

1. Do Your Chores

I have found that being in a clean environment helps me be successful in other areas of my life. When I’m not keeping my space neat, it can cause more tension and stress that I don’t want, especially when there’s already so much stress surrounding areas of my life like school and work. But, when you’re spending so much time studying or working it can be hard to keep up with things like cleaning and laundry. If you find that you need a break from your screen, maybe try folding some laundry or doing some dishes. Not only will you get away from your screen, but you’ll feel accomplished getting these things taken care of.

Hello! I'm Abby DuBois, a member at the University of Kansas' chapter of Her Campus! This is my third semester as a member of the Writing Team for HCKU. I write about culture, entertainment, and school. Some articles I’ve written include: "5 Shows You Should Watch in 2023", "Easy Recipes to Take to Thanksgiving This Year", "7 Things I Wish I Knew as a Freshman", and "What Taylor Swift Album You Should Listen to Next Based on Your Favorite Midnights Song". I am currently a senior at the University of Kansas double majoring in History and Classical Humanities. I plan to graduate in the Spring of 2024 and am undecided on my plans after that, but hope to work at a library or museum in the Kansas City area. In my free time, I love reading (especially Historical Fiction and Romance), going on walks, and finding new music to listen to. I also love learning about pop culture and trying out new recipes, which tends to fuel my writing for Her Campus.