This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

1. Lemons

When life gives you lemons, think of all the different things you’ll be able to do! Here are just a few things that lemons are good for: zit-zapping, deoderizing garbage, freshening the smell of your fridge, anti-aging, keeping apples white after you cut them, keeping your guac green, treating infections, reducing tooth-ache pain, refreshening cutting boards, keeping insects out of the kitchen, removing berry stains, curing chills and fever, reducing asthma symptoms and creating blond highlights. The possibilities are endless, my friend. 

2. Coconut Oil

Coconut oil has been a hot topic in the natural health community for a while now, and with good reason! It has so many different uses — both for cooking and for home beauty remedies. 

1. Lip balm: Apply coconut oil directly to your lips to add moisture. 

2. A hair mask: Hold your jar of coconut oil under the hot water to melt it, then (after shampooing) apply the liquid to your wet hair. Twist your hair into a bun and let it sit for five minutes before rinsing. This will add shine and moisture to your hair. 

3. A light skin moisturizer: In it’s solid form (at room temperature), you can use coconut oil to bring moisture to your skin. (This works best right out of the shower when your skin is still warm.)

4. Makeup remover: Put a small amount of liquefied coconut oil on a tissue or cotton ball (or directly on your skin if you prefer) and rub off all of your makeup. 

5. Shaving cream: Pat the area you are shaving dry, then apply a thin layer of coconut oil before shaving. The oil will leave your skin smooth and moisturized. 

3. Apple Cider Vinegar

Apple cider vinegar has recently been becoming much more prevalent in the natural health community. With its increased usage, it’s been discovered that it has many benefits beyond cooking purposes. It can naturally balance the pH levels of scalp and skin. 

1. If you want soft, shiny hair with fewer split ends, mix 1/4 c water with 1/4 c apple cider vinegar. Put this mixture on your scalp after shampooing, wrap it in a towel for 20 minutes and then rinse. Do this two times a week for the best results.

2. If you want to use apple cider vinegar to balance the pH level of your skin (as a toner, wart remover, sunburn healer or acne cure), just apply a little bit before bed and leave it on over-night. For warts, it’s best to dab some directly on the trouble area and then put a band-aid over it. The wart should fall off within a few weeks. 

I am a Chicago native, and a student at the University of Kansas. I'm studying secondary education with an emphasis in English, and I hope to earn my masters in special education. My favorite things in the world are puppies, girl's nights in, and perfectly balanced caramel macchiatos. My least favorite things are clowns, writer's block, and going to the dentist. If you want to know more about me, just read my articles! I will try to put my own personal spin on every topic I cover. Her Campus rules, Rock Chalk!