15 Tips to Keep Off the Freshman 15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KU chapter.

Every incoming freshman has heard the horror stories about the copious amounts of weight gain all first year students experience. With the all-you-can-eat dining centers and the little amount of extra time in a typical college schedule, it’s understandable why putting on a few extra pounds is so common. Avoid the freshman 15 by following these tips.

1.     Walk to class. Believe it or not, those steps add up. Walking to and from class is a great way to burn off a few hundred additional calories each day.

2.     For that matter, walk everywhere. It’s better for you and it’s better for the environment; you can’t lose.

3.     Eat breakfast, even if you don’t have time. This is a given, but so many college-aged women ignore this time-honored piece of advice.  Eating something within the first hour of when you wake up boosts the metabolism and prevents overeating later in the day.

4.     Take an HSES 108 course. It’s an extra hour that is definitely worth adding to your schedule. There are so many different sports you can try out, and you get an easy A.

5.     Utilize the recreation center. The University of Kansas has an amazing recreation center featuring tons of activities. Free weights, rock climbing, racquetball, basketball courts and fitness classes are just a few things the rec offers!

6.     Get an accountability partner. Having one friend that is dedicated to health works as fabulous motivation to keep yourself physically fit. Let her know about your goals and tell her you want her to hold you accountable!

7.     Do NOT go overboard at the all-you-can-eat dining halls. It’s so easy to do. Even though the pizza and soft serve ice cream is all-you-can-eat, go easy on it.  Most people don’t realize how many extra calories they consume by eating “just one more” slice of pizza over the course of a week or month. Binge out on fruit; keep sweets as a treat.

8.     If you’re going to drink, drink it hard. Drinking certain types of alcohol (beer, wine, etc.) in excess can add up to an absurd amount of calories and sugar. If drinking will be a regular part of your college experience, stick with harder alcohols; they have less calories and way less sugar.

9.     If you’re going to drink, drink it straight. Similar to tip eight, adding in drink mixes or chasers will add more sugar to your diet. If you need something to add to drinks, opt for a lime or real cranberry juice.

10.  After you drink, do NOT go eat your body weight in pizza at The Wheel. Enough said.

11.  Pack a healthy snack; the Underground is too tempting. There are a million places to get snacks on campus, but very few are healthy. It’s better on your body (and on your bank account) to simply pack something healthy at home and bring it with you.

12.  Check out the rec and club sports offered. KU has some amazing professional sports teams, but we also have great club and intermural teams. Joining one is a great option if you played sports in high school but did not want to play at the collegiate level. 

13.  Plan out your day to incorporate more aspects of physical activity. By simply adding in walking to class, clubs or activities with physical activity or bringing healthy food to class with you, your body will easily keep off the potential extra weight.

14.  Release your stress in a positive way. Stress is inevitable in college. Make sure you know how to handle it in a positive way. Running is a great release, as is any form of exercise. Avoid stress eating at all costs. If you must, stress eat fresh produce.

15.  Be a conscious consumer. Remain aware of what you are consuming throughout the day and what you are doing to keep your fitness level up. Overall, if you can keep those two things balanced, the freshman 15 will be no match to you.

Freshman news and information journalism student at the University of Kansas. Rock Chalk!