This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As college students, it’s likely that most of us are not quitters. We had to go through a lot to get here: maintaining good grades in high school, probably participating in at least one kind of extracurricular, and making it through the long and stressful process of applying to schools. Even when things get difficult, we stick it out. For some of us, it’s about being dedicated to our commitments no matter what. For others, including myself, quitting might feel like a failure. However, it’s important to remember that quitting isn’t always a bad thing! Sometimes, quitting might be in your best interest.

When You’re in a Bad Relationship

Whether it’s platonic or romantic, a bad relationship can play hell with your emotions and general well-being. Many people think of physical abuse when imagining a bad relationship, but verbal and emotional abuse can be more subtle signs that a relationship isn’t what it should be. Even if abuse isn’t a factor, maybe your relationship just isn’t making you happy anymore. Those of us who are opposed to quitting might stay in a relationship just because we’ve become accustomed to it or because leaving would feel like quitting. You deserve to be happy, though! If things just aren’t feeling quite like they used to, assess whether or not the relationship is working. Getting out of a friendship or a romance can be hard, but Kenyon has lots of great resources to help you along the way.​

When You’re in One Extracurricular Too Many

Students at Kenyon are notorious for being overly involved. There are so many great activities offered here—literary publications, political organizations, volunteering opportunities, dramatic performances—that it’s hard to not sign up for all of them! It’s easy to quickly find yourself in over your head with deadlines and meetings crowding your Google Calendar. Being involved is great, but it’s important to maintain a balance. If your involvement comes at the price of your academic success, your physical health, or your mental well-being, then it’s not worth it! That’s not to say you should drop every extra activity you do. Pick one that’s least satisfying to you or least relevant to your long-term goals, and let it go. You can always pick it back up again if other things change.

When You’re in the Wrong Job

I’ve spent the last few summers working in fast food, and although it hasn’t always been a great experience, I’ve met lots of awesome people! As much as I love my coworkers, I know the time will come soon that I’ll have to give up my cashiering job in favor of an internship or job that will get me closer to my career goals. Even though this will literally involve me quitting my job, it doesn’t mean I’m giving up or failing. Quitting a job that’s not right for you is a way of taking a step forward. Whether you’re switching to a job that’s more suited to your skills or just leaving one where you’re unhappy with your work, there’s no shame in quitting! You have to do what’s best for your long-term success.​It’s important to remember that quitting is not equivalent to failing. We love to talk about self-care, and this is part of it! If an aspect of your life is totally stressing you out, really think about what it would mean to let go of whatever it is. Odds are that once you’ve gotten past the initial anxiety of quitting, you’ll be happy with the choice you made.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.