you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Lowdown: Virtual vs. Traditional Internships

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

No matter the time of year, looking for potential jobs and internships is a great way to get a head start on applications and potential career options. Researching different organizations can help you develop ideas about what role you might want to adopt in the workplace, and they can also open your eyes to the vast array of opportunities that are out there.However, there is an important division in internship opportunities that many students don’t know about. The paid/unpaid factor is important, but the constantly-evolving workforce has provided another opportunity in the form of virtual internships. Making the choice between the traditional internship and its virtual counterpart can be harder than you think, so here are a few important details to consider:

The Location

Virtual: The biggest benefit about virtual internships is that you aren’t limited to your hometown when searching for online opportunities. For the past two summers, I have worked as an Editorial Intern at The Borgen Project, a nonprofit organization working to reduce world poverty. While the company is headquartered in Seattle, Washington, interns from all around the country can contribute to the website, lobby with their local Congressmen, and help fundraise. I could do all my work from my front porch!

Traditional: For a more traditional internship, you will have to live (or find a place to live) that is close to the office/park/field/location of your job. This can be an incredible chance to try living on your own in a new place, but this can also be expensive. I had another internship with a museum in my hometown, so I was able to stay at home, but publishing internships in New York City would require substantial traveling and living stipends that some companies don’t offer (but many do!).

The Timing

Virtual: This is one of the greatest advantages of a virtual internship: companies often offer them year-round, and they can also extend your internship if you continue to perform well. For example, I have been able to continue working at reduced hours for The Borgen Project throughout the school year. Start and finish dates can be far more flexible, as you don’t have to travel to a physical place to complete your work.

Traditional: Most of the time, traditional internships for college students take place during the summer. This can provide an excellent opportunity to get out of the house and try something different, but it can also limit your travel plans. Internships during the school year are possible, but you will have to balance them with your school work. However, there are Fall, Winter, and Spring sessions of internships, so it is always worthwhile to check the dates and see if you can fit them into your schedule.

The Commute

Virtual: It’s basically nonexistent! Unless you want to work at a local library or that trendy new coffee shop in your hometown (shout out to Brakeman’s in Matthews, NC), you can “go to work” without getting out of bed.

Traditional: My more traditional internship had two different locations, so I drove thirty minutes and had free parking one or two days out of the week, and the other days featured a twenty-minute drive and then a half-hour train ride and a five-minute walk to work. I personally enjoyed my commute—it gave me time to think, listen to the news, and people-watch—but I did have to wake up earlier to get my workout in before starting my day.

Important Skills

Virtual: Independence is the biggest skill that I have developed working with The Borgen Project. There were still guidelines, rules, and deadlines, but working virtually forces you to develop your own schedule and manage your time wisely. While I could always email my supervisors with a question, working alone really encouraged me to problem-solve more often and more effectively, and I have become far more confident in my ability to work competently without guidance.

Traditional: Workplace etiquette and interactions are a key aspect of internships that often go undiscussed. Absorbing the culture of the office and learning the norms and expectations of a community starkly different from the ones you’re used to are crucial, and traditional internships provide that opportunity. Additionally, you can learn specialized skills like working a fax machine, various database software, and interacting with clients in person and on the phone.

Workplace Experience

Virtual: Since there isn’t a physical workspace, virtual internships can sometimes feel a bit isolating. However, I still developed relationships with my supervisors and coworkers throughout the summer. Bonus points for not having to follow a dress code, though!

Traditional: This is the biggest benefit of a traditional internship. Working in an office, interacting with coworkers, taking lunch breaks…this is the chance for you to get a feel for what working as an adult will feel like. The experience is priceless, and I was able to learn a lot from casual conversations with my coworkers. Working in the office allows you to observe the inner workings of the organization and gain a better understanding of how complex and cooperative the workplace can be. Additionally, I had a dress code, and it really taught me how to make my personal style fit with a more formal environment.

This may seem like a lot to consider, but both traditional and virtual internships have their benefits. Once application season begins—some start as early as October—it’s important to have at least a few options. Symplicity is a fantastic resource for finding internships, but websites such as WayUp and Indeed can also provide some additional options. If you want to work close to home, start looking at organizations in your local area; some offer internships, and if they don’t, go ahead and call or email either the hiring manager or the head of the department you’re interested in working in: future employers will appreciate that you took the initiative!

I wish you the best of luck in your search: no matter the opportunity, every job or internship will provide a valuable experience and help you decide what career path you may want to pursue.

Image Credit: Writer’s Own

Taylor is a junior Anthropology and English double major from Charlotte, North Carolina. This is her second year writing for Her Campus Kenyon. When she isn't studying, eating, sleeping, running, or working at the circulation desk at the library, she is probably reading or writing. Taylor also runs on the Cross Country and Track teams and goes to bed abnormally early. She also eats a fluffernutter sandwich every Friday.
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.