Life Skills I Learned from My Music Major (Or, Dear Employer, Please Hire Me!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

When I first declared my music major, my parents joked that I would be spending four years learning how to sing, “Would you like fries with that?” But, now that I’m approaching graduation and getting ready to apply for jobs (help!), I am discovering that although I will probably never need to know how to spell a German Augmented Sixth Chord in G Minor (for the record, it’s Eb-G-Bb-C#), I have learned some important skills that will help me in any job I choose.

How to Handle Last-Minute Changes with Poise

Picture this: You’re the soloist at a friend’s wedding. An hour before the service, the officiant approaches you to say that the couple chose an absolutely un-singable instrumental version of their congregational hymn. Can you accompany it on the piano instead? 30 minutes of practice, and it was fine. If I can do this, I can adapt to any last-minute changes an employer might throw at me.

How to Perform Under Pressure

Have you ever had a five-minute exam that determines whether your semester of hard work is enough for you to advance to the next level? I have. It’s called a Jury, and every time I have one, it feels like I’m about to die. But, in that very intense environment, I have learned to keep breathing, smile, sing my best, and pretend that I’m not about to melt into the floor from the extreme pressure. Compared to juries, job interviews and presentations are no big deal. At least I’m not facing an empty auditorium with five, stoic faces staring back at me from the center.

How to Recover from Mistakes

Remember juries? Well, they actually grade you on how well you recover from your mistakes. As a musician, you’re expected to make mistakes. The question is whether you let them derail you or if you can continue to move forward towards the ultimate goal. As a musician, I know how to own my mistakes, how to fix them, and, when they are made in a “performance” setting, how to move forward as if they never happened.

How to Listen to Others

I play bass in a church band. And as a bassist, my whole job is to listen to and match the rhythm of the kick drum, while maintaining the chord progression of the rest of the band. If I couldn’t listen to the players around me, my part would be a disaster. In the working world, being able to collaborate and complement what your team is doing is a crucial skill.

How to Serve When It’s Not About You

As a bassist, my instrument tends to fly under the radar. People might notice the cool electric guitar line or an awesome snare roll, but you rarely notice the bassline. Most of the time, people only notice me when I do something wrong. Occasionally, I’ve gotten to play little, exciting accents, but I’ve also had times when I asked my leader if I could play something, and she’s said no. My job is to contribute to the overall sound, and to prioritize that, even when that means that my contribution is barely noticeable.

How to Generate Original Ideas Within an Established Framework

In the Music Theory class I took my first year, I had to write a few compositions that followed a long list of rules, but were also unique and interesting. As a songwriter, I try to write songs that are singable and catchy but are also compelling and innovative. By learning to compose, I’ve learned to create within a given structure and also when to push the boundaries of that structure to create something new.

How to (Almost Literally) Herd Cats

Trying to get a group of college students into a room to rehearse or lead an event is nearly impossible. Some days, I feel like half of my life is trying to get people to answer their texts. But from this, I’ve learned to communicate efficiently and persistently, set clear expectations for the people that I’m leading, and make things work when it’s hard to get everyone into the same room.​Whether you major in Drama or Economics, French or Biology, there are all kinds of lessons that you can gain from your coursework. In some ways, the life skills that you learn are almost more important than the nuts and bolts of your major. If you’re looking to declare a less “practical” major, go for it! And before your parents try to kill you, show them this article. ;)

Image Credit: Maggie Griffin

Maggie is a senior (finishing December 2017) at Kenyon College. Her passions include friends, faith, music, books, social justice, good coffee, and Knox County, Ohio. She hopes to become a pastor doing ministry in at-risk and distressed neighborhoods, and dreams of using music to help individuals and communities find healing and wholeness.
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.