danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Avoid Kenyon Stress Culture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

College students are often stressed. A shocking revelation, I know.

It feels like I’m constantly working. Like I’m either working or thinking in the back of my mind that I should be working. Like my to-do list will never end.

I’m not alone in this feeling.

The brochures all mention the “Kenyon Bubble,” but they don’t talk about how stress gets trapped in that bubble where it builds and builds and builds. When you’re stressed, being surrounded by equally stressed people isn’t going to help anything. Especially here, where workload or lack of sleep can feel like a competition.

We all need to step back from that environment, sometimes. How you de-stress is different for everybody, but here are a few tips:*

Off-Campus:

1.Get a Meal in Mount Vernon

Let’s be honest with ourselves: Peirce gets old. No matter your opinion on their food, there will come a point in the semester where you’ll go crazy if you eat Pasta Marinara for one more meal. If you/your friend have a car, or if you know how to take the shuttle (I am a senior who does not know how the shuttle works…), it’s pretty easy to get into Mount Vernon and mix things up. My personal favorites are Southside Diner and Bombay Garden & Greek Eats. (If you’re stuck on campus, going to the Village Inn or ordering a pizza can have the same benefits.)

2. The Dairy

I love The Dairy so much that it doesn’t get lumped in with “food in Mount Vernon.” They’ll give you four big scoops of ice cream for like two dollars. And, it’s really good ice cream. Go. I think it’s only open seasonally, so go soon.

3. Walmart Wandering

You don’t even have to buy anything. People who grew up in cities where there were things to do might not realize this, but Walmart can be fun. There are bikes, which you’ll probably get yelled at for trying out, but it’s exhilarating while it lasts. The same could be said about tag. And the toy aisle is almost always full of gems—masks, plastic dinosaurs, fake swords, etc. Go crazy.

4. Apple Picking

Can you think of a more fall activity? It gets you moving, outside, and off campus. There are many opportunities for cute pictures. And, hey, eating fruit isn’t bad for you either.

5. Movies

Somehow I always forget that Mount Vernon has a movie theatre (but, duh, of course, it has one). Going to a movie theatre is a great way to unplug from the world, to escape into another world and not check your phone for a couple hours. It’s a great way to go out with friends, but I’m personally a fan of going to the theatre alone.

6. Homework in Mount Vernon

Going off campus can help even if you still have homework to do. Doing homework at Happy Bean or Panera in Mount Vernon can be a breath of fresh air. You’re not surrounded by dozens of other stressed students and are less likely to get distracted every two minutes by someone you know.

On Campus:

1. Walk to the BFEC / Gap Trail

Even if you can’t get completely off campus, heading down to the Brown Family Environmental Center can be a close second. I am a strong advocate of being outside, whether you’re doing homework on a picnic blanket, walking through the woods, or exercising on the Gap Trail. Being in nature helps you be happy. Science says so.

2. Have a Movie Night with Friends

Instead of binge-watching TV by yourself on nights you aren’t stuck in the library (even though, 10/10 would recommending binge-watching TV alone), try a movie night. Round up some friends/acquaintances. Put on comfy clothes. Get popcorn or hot cocoa or wine, whatever you want. And watch something mindless. Gossip. Laugh. Live vicariously through unrealistically attractive characters in a romantic comedy. Having fun is allowed, even when you’re busy.

3. Try Crafting

I love yarn, guys. I have so much yarn in my room. Whether you’re a fan of crochet, like me, or prefer drawing or pottery-ing or collaging, crafting can be a wonderful way to unwind. Check out the Craft Barn if you’re in need of a creative outlet and don’t have a desk drawer full of yarn.

4. Read for Fun

I know, I know. Reading is the last thing you want to do during your free time. I wrote a whole article about it last year (LINK), but here’s the gist: Reading used to actually be fun, before college happened. It still can be. I promise.

5. Sleep

I’m going to end on an obvious one. Sleep. Saying you’re tired or humble bragging about how little sleep you’ve gotten is a common part of Kenyon small talk. Please please please try and rest. Take a nap. Set a bedtime and stick to it. Sleep in whenever possible. Just, sleep.

Here’s the thing about stress, especially when everyone else is stressed too: It feels all-consuming. It feels like it needs all of your time and focus. But it doesn’t, and you can take a break without feeling guilty.

*While these tips and activities can be helpful for dealing with everyday stressors, sometimes there are more severe and persistent causes of anxiety. Don’t feel guilty if a walk or a bowl of ice cream isn’t enough to make you feel better.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3, 4

Paige is a senior psychology major at Kenyon College. Next year, she plans on attending graduate school to receive a Master's of Library Science. She just bought a plant for her dorm room and named him Alfred. 
Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.