This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Can exercising be fun? A few years ago I would have given a definitive “no” to this question. However, now in my second year of college, I’ve learned to enjoy exercise and even look forward to it. How, you may ask? Well, by not taking it too seriously. 

Ever since I was younger I never enjoyed sports or exercising. I, like many other kids, tried out different sports hoping to find what fit me best. After soccer balls to the head and uncoordinated dance recitals, I wondered if there was anything I was good at. While all my friends were finding what fit them best and where their passion lay, I still could never figure out why I hated all these activities. 

In middle and high school I found my passion lay more with arts and creative endeavors. But I still had to find a sport to complete my school’s graduation requirement. I tried dancing for a while since I always enjoy dancing in my room to music. But everyone here was very serious and had matured past the sparkle jumps and grapevine moves I remembered. I did crew for a while, which I quickly regretted due to lacking much upper and lower body strength. I also found I did not enjoy being yelled at to pull and push. Eventually, I was able to finish my credits by joining the golf team started in my sophomore year. Although I didn’t have a passion for the sport, I appreciated the lack of running and yelling involved.

When I first started my freshman year in college I did not exercise at all. Like at all (granted, the long walks to and from my dorm could be argued as a form of exercise). But I took advantage of not having to be forced into any sports. At the end of my freshman year, though, I found something felt like it was lacking. I had a lot of time on my hands and would be taking a lot of naps. I felt lethargic all the time and wanted something to wake me up and get me outside. 

I decided to try something I had never thought I would do voluntarily. Run. I had never liked running. It always felt too hard and whenever I did it, I was being yelled at to go faster and push harder. Now, here I was taking it up without being forced. And I loved it. Not so much the running part. But I loved being outside and turning my brain off for an hour or two. Telling myself that in this moment I do not have to worry about assignments or work, and just focus on being out in the sun and moving. It felt freeing and now it’s something I try to do often. If the sporadic Gambier weather allows, of course. 

When the weather is bad though, I’ve started taking different types of classes offered at the Kenyon gym. Along with my friend Madeleine, I’ve started going to a Zumba class on Mondays. For an hour, after all my classes are done and before I have to stress about homework and deadlines, I dance and forget about everything. It’s probably some of the most fun I’ve had with exercising. Throwing all my inhibitions out the window and genuinely enjoying myself, with others who are just having fun. 

Now I try to sign up for as many classes as I can offered at the gym since they’re free and a great way to get me to exercise. I’ve now taken Zumba, cycling, and yoga classes. I honestly think the supportive and unstressful environment in these places is amazing. There is no pressure to overwork yourself and everyone is just there to have fun and forget about all their worries for a while. 

Although I still take a lot of rest days and don’t work out all the time, just being able to change my mental attitude with exercise has helped me a lot. Not putting pressure on yourself and using exercise as a way to get out of your head and take a break helps so much. I understand now why people always talk about how good it is for you. I can’t wait till the weather gets good again and I can get outside and enjoy myself whether that be with walking or running or trying out new classes.

Portia is a sophomore English major and Spanish and Art History minor from DC. When not writing she's found grabbing coffee from wiggins or watching a 2000s teen melodrama.