To All the Classes I’ll Never Get to Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This past Thursday, I completed my last course registration at Kenyon. It was a bittersweet experience. I’m excited about all of the classes I am going to take next semester, and I definitely enjoyed the lowered stress of registering as a senior and getting first dibs on classes. But, this was it. When choosing my classes for next semester, I couldn’t say, “oh, I can just take it next year” about those that didn’t make the cut. I’m registered for the last classes of my undergraduate career. In honor of that, I thought I’d share some of the classes that I’m sad I never got to take, in the hopes that maybe some of you will get to enjoy them instead.

KILM Language Classes

I tested out of the Kenyon language requirement with my AP French score, and while it was nice not to have to worry about one more requirement, I do regret not pursuing a language while at Kenyon. I feel guilty about the fact that I don’t know any language as well as most people in other countries know English, especially after going abroad. I should have taken the opportunity that Kenyon’s praised language program offers to master another language. If you’ve still got time in your Kenyon career to take a language, I definitely would recommend it. You never know where it could come in handy.

Trials, Debates, and Controversies (RLST 141)

I noted this class when trying to choose courses first semester freshman year, and I’m so sad I’ll never get to take it. The description says students in the class will “assume, research, and reenact the roles of the various participants in [controversial issues marking the turning points in Western religious history].” Basically, the class seems to be about learning about controversies throughout history and then debating them. Seems pretty cool to me. I’m sad it wasn’t offered this semester, so if you’ve got a few more years left at Kenyon, consider this class the next time it’s offered.

Proper Ladies and Women Writers (ENGL 210)

As an English major, I’m heartbroken that I never got a chance to take a class with Professor Heidt. This class seemed so cool. Let’s be honest, aren’t we all tired of reading a bunch of dead white men? The description says students in the class will study women writers and consider how “culturally sanctioned ‘plots’ (most notably romance and marriage plots)” shaped women’s lives and narratives. It sounds truly fascinating. If you’re still in your first few years at Kenyon, do me a favor and take a class with Professor Heidt. (Runner-up to this class is Professor Heidt’s other 200-level English class, Autobiographical Theory and Practice (ENGL 211), which my roommate took sophomore year and raved about.)

Modern Democracies (PSCI 240)

I’ve taken quite a few courses in the Political Science department, but my focus has mainly been in American politics. I wish that I’d taken a few courses about international politics as well. When I studied abroad in England, I was fascinated to learn about another government—it would have been cool to take a class that studied several different governments as Modern Democracies does. The course description says that students will “explore the institutional variety of representative democracy, the causes of political stability and instability in democratic regimes, and the possibility of the successful creation of democratic regimes in countries in which the political culture has not traditionally supported democracy.” Sounds pretty cool to me! If you’re interested in the politics of other countries, this class definitely seems like a great place to start.  

Kenyon has so many amazing classes, and there is no way anyone can take all that they want to in four short years (or fewer if you go abroad). There are very few classes I regret taking here; I just wish I’d had time to take even more. If you’re not a senior, enjoy taking all of these cool classes while you can. Before you know it, your time at Kenyon will be over!

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year. 
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.