This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s 2021. The clock ticked, the ball dropped, the lips met…and nothing changed. Once again, we all fell into the promising trap of the New Year™–a temptation of transformation, rebirth, and just general newness. While the phrase ‘new normal’ tends to leave an unpleasant taste in your mouth, who says that new routines need to be so dreadful? Pick up crystals! Literally. Get one (or ten), place it in your hand, and let your energy and the pretty stones do their thing.

Crystals are accessible to everyone (well, anyone who can manage to get their hands on one). You don’t need any sort of expertise to use them. All you need is intention, purpose, and a belief in the possibility of what could happen. They’re beautiful, and even if you don’t believe in the hype, learning about what crystals were traditionally used for is fascinating. If you’re new to crystals, here’s a foolproof list of eight crystals that everyone could use right now.

Unsplash

1. Rose Quartz

Rose Quartz is the stone of love! Romantic love, platonic love, familial love…but most importantly, self-love. I think I can speak for many when I say that introspection has increased tenfold since the start of quarantine. When you’re looking at yourself up close and personal so often, you can get lost in little flaws and forget the amazing qualities you possess. This beautiful pink crystal will help you recenter your focus on loving yourself.

2. Fluorite

This multi-colored stone aids in concentration and stress relief, two things that are essential to getting work done in a timely manner. Whether working from home or socially distanced in the workplace, keeping fluorite by your station is a surefire way to keep the motivation flowing.

3. Opal

Opal is said to promote creativity and increase inspiration. When you’re stuck at home most of the time with nothing to look at but the same scenery, who wouldn’t want some of that? That’s not all–some say opal helps to relieve headaches, which are inevitable after staring at a screen all day.

4. Clear Quartz

Think of clear quartz as a shapeshifter. It can take on any energy you put into it or even amplify the energy of any crystals you pair it with. Want to savor an amazing mood or burst of confidence? Pass it onto this stone! This crystal is one of the most versatile you will ever come across. You can use it to cleanse other crystals or spaces, by itself with any purpose you please, or to make a stone even stronger. What’s not to love?

5. Black Tourmaline

Black Tourmaline soaks up all the negative vibes that come your way, along with any negative thoughts already inside of you. It’s also super grounding for those times when life feels like a tornado. This stone is a must-have in 2021, where we will not accept anything less than good vibes at all times. 

6. Jade

Here’s a not-so-hidden gem (pun intended) to bring some variety to your life. This green crystal is known for its prosperous traits and bringing financial luck to the user. It’s pretty popular among stone fanatics as a portable lucky charm. Some even say wearing jade on your left-hand helps attract blessings from the universe.

7. Carnelian

Carnelian looks happy at first glance, so it’s no surprise that this crystal has bright, joyous properties. It’s said to boost motivation, something that might be lacking in many during the pandemic. It restores vitality, making for a much-needed refresh.

8. Moldavite

This stone is particularly expensive and harder to find, and for good reason. It was formed by an asteroid impact over 15 million years ago. Moldavite is said to induce great changes in the user’s life, often rapidly and relentlessly. While moldavite is available for anyone to purchase, it is cautioned against using recklessly. If you know what you’re doing and you’re ready for a complete upheaval, this crystal is the perfect one for you.

Whenever you buy crystals, make sure they are ethically sourced. Before use, cleanse your crystals using your method of choice–there are many guides online (avoid using white sage)! Then, charge your crystal. For this step, I like to hold the crystal in my hands and imagine my intentions as a beam of white light leaving my body and entering the crystal through my fingertips. Do this as long as you’d like. Keep the crystal near you to reap the benefits, and remember to be kind to yourself in these trying times!

Pexels

Brooke is a member of Kenyon College's Class of 2024 and Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. When she isn't writing articles, you might also find her writing plays, short stories, poems, and more. She enjoys iced coffee, roadtrips, and disposable camera photos.