bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

7 Reasons to go to the KAC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Halloween is over and you have abandoned all intentions of “healthy eating” that you decided you would start on November 1st. On top of that, the left over candy still sits in the corner of your room, enticing you to eat it day after day even though you don’t actually want it. Although the KAC is just a short walk down the hill, you sit in your room and complain to your roommate about how much you need to work out instead of actually doing it. Non – KACers, this is the motivation you have been waiting for. Here are just a few of the many reasons to head down to the KAC!

1. Mental/ Emotional Health

After a long day of classes,  it’s important to give yourself an outlet so you can relieve yourself of stress. Feeling indignant about the grade your professor gave you or the laziness of your group project members? Instead of beating other people down in your mind, build yourself up with a few extra reps!

2. The View

The first time I walked into the KAC, I stepped out of the summer heat and into the blissful air – conditioning and seriously debated climbing the hill back to my dorm to grab a sleeping bag so I could live in our school gym. Even those of us who haven’t been to the KAC know that it is just short of enough to move the next olympic games to Gambier, Ohio. Plus, if the aesthetics of the building aren’t enough motivation to work out, the treadmills overlook the pool and the football field (if ya know what I’m gettin’ at)

3. Sushi

Whoever said good food is a bad temptation clearly didn’t have sushi in their gym! As great as AVI is, all college students know how easy it is to tire of dining hall food. Craving something a bit fancier than “locally sourced” potato waffles? Walk down the hill to get in a productive workout and free yourself of guilt before indulging in some sushi!

4. Sauna

Are you in recovery from a junk food coma or parenting a food baby? Have some of your more motivated friends drag you to the KAC (or better yet, drag them to the KAC) and hit the sauna after. Sweating rids your body of toxins and relaxes your muscles. Just be sure to replenish your body with a lot of water! Your body is bound to feel renewed in only a few short minutes.

5. Showers

Cool down from your sauna session with a nice, cold shower. Coordinate which of your friends will bring what shower necessities and share to avoid having to carry too much stuff! Or, get a locker and leave some extra supplies there! The showers are more spacious and have better water pressure than most of the residence showers and you’re free to sing loudly without the concern of your entire hall judging your pitchiness.

6. Socializing

If you know you’ve spent a lot of time in a study space doing your work recently, take a break and head to the KAC at a time when you know sports practice is going on. If you didn’t think you could have sleep, good grades, and a social life, you were wrong. Mix your gym time with your social life to meet new people while simultaneously improving your academics by giving yourself a much needed mental break. Your work will likely be of better quality if you feel connected to others instead of isolated after a short KAC break.

7. Better Sleep

Exercise at least three hours before you go to bed is proven to help you fall asleep more quickly and improve the quality of your rest. Because exercise reduces anxiety, you’ll be able to stop worrying at night and stop your mind from wandering. You’ll also sleep more soundly, making it easier to get out of bed for class the next day!

No matter if you want to support yourself, or your favorite Kenyon sports team, heading down to the KAC can prove to be more than beneficial addition to your schedule. Whether you feel the need to get in shape, or just need to get out some aggression, going to the KAC a few times a week can dramatically improve your mood and your health.

Image Sources: Kenyon College, Production.bobvila.com, Balticleisure.com, Udsdf.org, Eat24.com, Blogspot.com