This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Like many people my age, I don’t particularly enjoy talking on the phone. Calling someone I don’t know is even worse. Despite this, last summer I applied to work for the Kenyon Phonathon — they’re the people who call alumni and parents asking them to give to the Kenyon Fund. It’s in my job description to call people I don’t know. It might not be the most relaxing job on campus, but through working at Phonathon I’ve definitely learned some tips about talking on the phone that can help anyone who’s nervous about calling!

1.     Know why you’re calling.

Your first step before you make the call is to define exactly why you’re calling. Whether you’re calling for an interview with a potential internship or to simply scheduling a doctor’s appointment, know the details before you dial. Which internship is this phone call about? Is the doctor’s appointment you’re scheduling a check-up or for a specific concern? This may seem simple, but once you’ve told yourself why you’re making the phone call, it’ll be easier for you to relax and deliver your message.

2.     Prepare a script.

To help us learn how to address alumni and the best ways to ask for money, Phonathon provides each caller with a script specific to the type of alumni we’re addressing (reunion, previous giver, etc.). It’s super helpful to have something in front of you so that you know you won’t be at a loss for words when the person on the other line picks up. This can be used no matter what your calling situation is. You don’t have to write out everything you want to say, but having a few bullet points will do wonders for your confidence and you’ll feel prepared to talk to whoever answers the phone.

3.     Find a point of connection.

When calling alumni, we’re advised if possible to find a point of connection with the alumni we’re calling, such as a major, extracurricular activity, or hometown. This can be a good tip for other phone calls as well. When you feel a connection to someone, it’s much easier to make conversation with him or her, and you know you’ll have at least something to talk about. If you’re about to have a phone interview, look up some quick information about your interviewer to see if you have anything in common with him or her. And even if you never use that information, it can help ease your nerves by knowing something about the other person. Which brings me to my last tip…

4.     Remember, the other person is also human!

Chances are good that the person on the other end of the line wishes you no ill will. They also might not love talking on the phone either — like I said, it’s a trait many people in our generation share. Even when calling to ask people for money I rarely encounter someone who’s rude to me. And when it does happen, you don’t have to take it personally — it’s more likely due to their bad day than anything you’ve done. So, just keep in mind that there’s nothing scary about the person on the other end of the line and you’ll be absolutely fine when you get on the phone.

With these tips, you’ll be talking on the phone like a pro in no time! Just remember, there’s nothing scary about calling people. Relax, and good luck calling!

Image credits: giphy.com, tumblr.com

Rebecca is a senior English major and American Studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She is from Alexandria, Virginia and has written for Her Campus since freshman year.