Wellness

The Semester is Almost Over; This is How I Take Care of Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Thanksgiving break is less than two weeks away! Meaning, the fall semester will be coming to a close in just a month! Now, I don’t say this to freak anyone out, I say this to hopefully clear your mind and help you to stay positive. Everything will be over and you’ll get a nice long break in just one month! Life does tend to get a bit stressful around this time of year, so I have compiled a list of everything I do to take care of myself and get my work finished when burnout is at an all-time high.

Self Care:

The following are some self-care practices I do both before (to get my mind into a good space) starting on an assignment or after (to decompress after hours spent on homework).

Face Masks/SKincare

Facemasks can be an extremely soothing activity and just what I need to get a start on my homework or to decompress afterward. It just takes 10-20 minutes, and it is such a helpful way to remind myself to breathe and relax. My all-time favorite mask is this one from target:

Showers

A nice hot shower can be so beneficial when I’m feeling unproductive and unmotivated. By cleaning up and putting on some fresh and comfy clothes, I instantly feel so much better. When I feel better, it is easier to take a step back and see everything rationally if I was previously overwhelmed.

Fulfilling Meals

Making myself a quality and fulfilling meal is always helpful. I can not think straight on an empty stomach, so fueling my brain and my body can always help to boost my energy and motivation. One of my personal favorites is pasta. There are so many different types of pasta and all sorts of sauces to top it with. It is simple to make but can be extremely fulfilling when I put the time into making it a meal. Topping my pasta with parmesan cheese, or some protein such as chicken or shrimp can also turn it up a notch and make me feel like I’ve made myself a quality meal.

Pasta
Shun Matsuhashi / Spoon

Breaking Down My Workload:

The following are all activities I do to break down my workload when it is just too much to digest. I have also compiled ways I try to motivate myself to get my work complete.

Break it down

Now, let’s start by my processes of actually breaking down the work. My favorite way and the one I have found most effective for me is making a list. On paper, on my iPad, computer, phone or even a sticky note. I list my assignments from now until whatever date seems digestible (for example, now until Thanksgiving break). Next, I put them in order of when they are due, starting at the top with what is due the soonest, and ending with whatever I have the most time to complete. This does not necessarily mean I will complete the assignments or tasks in this order. However it is helpful for me to have them in a due date order, so I don’t get lost in the list and end up missing an assignment that was due before another.

Gaining Motivation

Speaking of doing my list out of order, let me tell you why. On some occasions, when I do not have the motivation to do a big assignment at the top of my list, I may move down to a smaller, more digestible assignment or task. It may be due after the big assignment, but I find that If I can get something done, it pushes my motivation up and allows me to start on the big assignment I could not digest earlier. Now, if I only get through the smaller task and find myself exhausted, that’s okay! You know why? Because, I checked an assignment off my list, which is really great!

Lastly, where I do my work can have a big impact on me, especially when I’m struggling with motivation. Though I love to do my work all snuggled up in bed, I know for myself that when I’m lacking motivation it is not the best place for me. I end up sleeping or becoming avoidant. In times such as these, I find my desk is the best place for homework. It might not be as warm or comfy, but it is a place I know I will get assignments completed.

Break Time:

Allowing myself breaks when working for several hours on homework is essential for me. My brain can only handle so much in a period of time. I don’t want to mess with my motivation when I plan to go back to my work so, when it comes to breaking in between tasks and assignments I like to stay active. Whether it’s my brain or my body I like to stay productive so I don’t lose that motivation. Some activities I love to do include:

Crafting

A couple of crafts I love to do while on a homework break are painting and bracelet making. Recently, it has been the latter. I find that doing something that involves my hands while also keeping my brain stimulated can help when I am not feeling the most productive. It is fun and a break from work, but it also keeps me up, moving and out of bed.

Light Workout

For me, staying active is important. It is extremely hard to do when I feel as busy as I do at the end of the semester but I rectify this by switching up my thoughts about physical activity. Not all workouts have to be hard, sweaty and leave you out of breath. Yoga and Pilates-type workouts have been very soothing for me, while also keeping my body moving and active. Even just some light stretching can make my body feel better. After hovering and slouching at a desk all day, stretching can really help to relieve my tightened and aching joints and muscles.

Meditation

When I’m not at all in an active mood, and I feel my motivation is pretty high, meditation helps relieve my stress. It serves as a nice reset for my brain after hours of homework. There are so many different mindfulness and meditation videos on YouTube, so I’m able to choose whatever feels right in the present moment.

Listen to Music

Like meditation, taking a break by putting on my headphones, and just really listening to some of my favorite albums, songs or artists can serve as a nice calming reset and “breather” for my mind.

Reading

As a chronic fantasy series reader, this is one of my favorite ways to take a break from my work while still stimulating my mind and feeling productive. Lighting a candle and sitting back to read even just a couple chapters can serve as an entertaining break while keeping my motivation to keep going.

At the End of the Day:

When all is said and done, whether I’ve crossed out one assignment from my list or three, I never dwell on what could have been or what I should have done. I was productive, I got up out of bed and I completed an assignment which was really amazing and I reminded myself I should be proud. At the end of the day, settling into bed in my pajamas with a warm beverage, a sweet treat and a movie playing always helps to decompress after a long day. I try my best every day, and for now, that’s enough for me.

The Lalacozy Bed Floral Blanket
Her Campus Media
Molly Acquard

Kent State '25

Molly Acquard is a junior studying fashion design and creative writing at Kent State University. She is from Buffalo, NY and a huge Sabres hockey fan. In her free time, she enjoys reading, listening to music and doing thrift flips. This is her second semester in Her Campus, and on the editorial team.