This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Happy Summer

Ladies…this is the last article for a while. Happy summer! Before going into the sunshine, I want to end this year with a heartwarming goodbye by giving you a helping hand.

If you read the last article, you know that it was a touchy subject for most and something to be talked about. Some people may not know where to turn to. Well, I will say there is a place that is always open for no judgment and a true person willing to listen no matter what.

This safe space can be known as a friend or someone who cares about what you have to say, what you think about and who you are. Maybe it’s home.

Maybe it is a place for therapy.

“It all started when I was born”

When I first thought about what therapy was, my mind went straight to Squidward sitting on the couch with him saying, “It all started when I was born.” I didn’t really think much else of it until I started to look into it myself in high school.

In medical terms, psychotherapy, which can be understood as “talk therapy” or just “therapy,” is a form of treatment aimed at relieving emotional distress and mental health problems. 

At first, it may seem artificial, with a professional to talk to you about your problems. It may even seem like they are only listening to you because they have to. Yes, they have to but they WANT to make you feel better.

They want to aid you in your journey in life in understanding who you are and what you can do to be the best you.

I can say this confidently because I was Squidward on the couch but in a less gruesome way.

My personal experience

I went to therapy for my entire junior year of high school. I would go every Thursday, right after school would let out. I thought I didn’t need to go every week, but boy was I wrong.

When I first stepped into my therapist’s office, I was taken aback. The room was so…calm. The lighting in the room was warm. My therapist was a kind woman who had such a soft presence. She definitely made sure that I felt comfortable.

When I sat on the couch, I felt nervous. I did not know this woman at all. Why should I trust her? Why should I tell her all the things bothering me and what I am going through?

She answered those questions immediately.

My therapist started to share certain details about herself that made me feel at ease. She made sure I knew who she was and why she was here. She explained that she wanted to do her best in helping me feel okay, to talk through my feelings and the concerns of my life. 

She wanted me to be happy with myself. 

Once I knew that part, I did not feel nervous anymore. I felt ready to go through this journey of mine to figure out my problems. 

As soon as my sessions started, I realized new things about myself. I saw a new perspective from my therapist that made my eyes see clearly.

It became easier to talk about my thoughts and feelings. I conveyed them effectively by even going into detail about situations that made me feel a certain way.

I started to notice little things about myself that I wanted to change and be better at. I felt a little lighter leaving my therapist’s building each time. Each time I entered the building, it felt easier to go in there with confidence.

The first step into the building was the hardest step.

hardest step = first step

I understand that you may think asking for help may make you look and feel weak. You may feel small like you are a child asking for a parent to treat your boo boo.

I will tell you something a very wise chemistry teacher said to me:

You are strong for keeping it inside; however, you are even stronger for letting it out, owning what you have and being vulnerable in front of someone. It takes a lot to do that.

Knowing that you deserve the help and letting your thoughts out is the first step in owning security with yourself. Showing that side of yourself is seemingly one of the most difficult things to do in this day and age. 

You feel like you can never trust anyone. Taking that time to open up to someone about your wounds, demons and so much more can make such a difference in your life. 

It shows you are not alone. There are people out there willing to take the time out of their day to listen to your voice. 

You are important. Always.

Overall…

Therapy is more than you maybe think it is. Whenever you need it, it is there.

One important thing is to know that a therapist will not help you figure out everything! They are here to be a different perspective and even a guiding point for you. 

They will suggest activities to do and ways to look at your situation, but YOU get to decide what you do with it! They are not here to tell you what to do.

Your life is precious. If there is ever a problem, never hesitate to reach out for the help that you deserve. Things will get better soon!

Danielle Stehle

Kent State '24

Hi! My name is Danielle Stehle. I am currently a Journalism major with a minor in Business here at Kent State. Since writing is one of my deepest passions, I'd love to use it as a medium to express my thoughts and interests to many different people. I am a bookworm, but I'm also a social butterfly. I love my English Bulldog, Parris, with all of my heart. I am here to hopefully inspire, inform and put a smile on people's faces!