This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Bloating is a totally normal thing for everyone, however, there are some ways to reduce it. I am someone who gets bloated very easily, and I have tried many different things including cutting out certain food groups or fizzy drinks to try to get rid of it. After doing some research, I found that the drinking warm lemon water first thing in the morning can not only help reduce bloating but has a lot of other great benefits to it. So, I decided I would try it out.

Lemonade
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
 Every morning for the past week I have heated up about 8-10 ounces of water in the microwave and added the juice of half a lemon. When I tried it the first day I wasn’t a huge fan of the taste, but I discovered adding just the slightest bit of honey helps to cut the acidic taste. Honey also has health benefits of its own. I am usually someone who is pretty hungry when I first wake up, and I immediately noticed that by drinking the lemon water on an empty stomach, it helped to curve some of my hunger. If you are someone who is trying intermittent fasting and is struggling to get through the morning without eating, this may really help you.
pink shirt jeans torso stomach
Molly Longest / Her Campus
As far as bloating, I definitely don’t think the lemon water did any harm. I have recently switched up what I am eating to a much healthier and more balanced lifestyle, so the combination of that with the lemon water did have me noticing some decreases in my bloating. It is hard to tell what exactly may be contributing to the decrease in bloating, and I think I need to continue this for a bit longer to see real results.

Some of the other benefits of drinking warm lemon water that I noticed was a cleaner and more glowy complexion. I am someone who has always struggled with acne and dark spots, and while it didn’t completely eliminate them, I do feel as though my skin has more of a glow to it and isn’t so dull. Lemon is also a great source of vitamin C which has many health benefits behind it. 

Emily Veith
I actually really enjoyed drinking lemon water in the morning as it became part of my routine and strangely was something I looked forward to every morning. While I can’t confidently say it has completely changed my life yet, I am definitely going to stick with it as I feel it is doing me some good. I would suggest this to anyone looking for an easy way to start a healthy lifestyle with just a few extra steps.

Natalie is a freshman fashion merchandising student with a double minor in marketing and fashion media at Kent State. At home in Springboro, Ohio she enjoys spending time with friends, family, and her dog, Maci. Her interests include fashion, beauty, lifestyle, dogs and much more! In high school, she danced and participated in her high school's choir and theater program. While her studies are very important to her, she does enjoy being involved in many clubs and organizations including the Fashion Student Organization, Modista, and of course Her Campus. She hopes to one day live in a big city working for a fashion magazine, and just generally doing what she loves.
Junior at Kent State, with a mojor in journalism and a minor in fashion media. I like to write about fashion, lifestyle and Harry Styles.