Wellness > Health

Guide to Making Gains and Gaining Confidence in the Gym

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kent State chapter.

Over the last year, I have taken up weightlifting, and I can wholeheartedly say it has by far been one of the best decisions I have ever made. All throughout my life up until college, I have played competitive softball and have always had a passion for fitness and moving my body as a form of self-care. In my attempts to recreate the positive release of energy sports had once given me, I decided to hit the gym.

At first, my fitness journey mostly consisted of walking on the treadmill and scoping out the weight rooms while being too fearful to venture inside and pick up some weights. The anxiety and fear of embarrassment blockaded me from entering the free weights section. But after a few weeks of researching correct form and proper technique, I eventually gained the confidence to grab a dumbbell and head to a secluded corner of the weight room. 

Honestly, all it took was that one burst of courage. It helped to push me out of my comfort zone and sent me down the path to become increasingly more sure of myself in the gym. I began following many female weightlifters and fitness influencers on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram to give me encouragement. Soon, I began making progress. 

I created a workout split for myself, which consists of a glute and hamstring day on Monday, rest Tuesday, back and biceps on Wednesday, full leg day on Thursday, full-body Friday, upper body on Saturday and rest on Sunday. This schedule helps me to work on each muscle group individually, while allowing my muscles to recover as on the days in between. Rest and recovery are key when growing muscles, I’ve learned. This schedule not only helped me to see rewarding progress in my fitness journey, but it also gave me something to look forward to each day, as it provided a little structure to my week. 

One of the most important things to keep in mind when you start to lift weights is that you must be eating enough food to be able to withstand the intense strain you are putting on your body. Remember that your body must be fueled properly to be able to function and keep you happy and healthy. 

I am so proud of myself because of how far I have come. My confidence has grown for sure. But I am most proud of the mental health glow-up that making time to care for my body has given me. 

Annie Gleydura

Kent State '24

I am Annie Gleydura. I’m a sophomore majoring in Fashion Merchandising and minoring in both fashion media and creative writing. My passions include fashion, writing, art, and makeup.