Culture > News

What’s This About A Pension Strike?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

What’s going on, you say? Well, the Universities Superannuation Scheme is a decent pension fund for teachers. Until recently, it was a defined benefit scheme which guaranteed income for their retirement. Recent proposals made by Universities UK aims to end this stability in favour of a contribution scheme that will be subject to changes in the stock market.

Think of it like our student loans: With a shoddy economy and increased deficits, our debt goes up in price (thanks Jo Johnson). So, it is that the stability of our teacher’s pensions will now be severely compromised by the economic climate. As a result, there will be 14 days of strike action starting Feb 22, of which 61 universities will be taking part.

What are the consequences? A typical lecturer will lose £10,000 a year in retirement. That’s a lot of money, but just as important is a teacher’s incentive to work. Without this stability, the teaching profession isn’t quite so shiny, and the benefits begin to drop. And besides, what’s a student to do without overly eccentric and enthusiastic professors to make those dreary 9am’s more bearable?

Over the past months, University and College Union spokeswoman Sally Hunt has tried many times to negotiate with UUK via the Joint Negotiating Committee (A.K.A the big guns), but evidently to no avail (you can read her statement here). She has even promised strike pay to participating teachers. In response, the JNC insist that these changes aim to put the pension scheme on a ‘secure and sustainable footing’ – a phrase much used on their official site – and have expressed their ‘disappointment’ at the possibility of strike action. Can anyone else hear an echo of Teresa’s ‘strong and stable’ mantra?

Our teachers are angry. And rightly so. Their only option now is to strike. Their intention is to protest and put pressure on employees – and vice chancellors – whose pots remain happily full. Having spoken to a few myself, it is quite clear that our tutors are disheartened and worried. They do not want to strike, because striking would mean a disruption in lectures and schedules, but the UUK have backed them into a corner.

Remember last year when our university fees went up from £9000 to £9,250? We were outraged! And in response, we took to Parliament Square and protested. You may even have noticed a large force of teachers in attendance. Ultimately, our lovely teacher’s rights are at risk, and it’s about time we stopped ogling the lecturers, put down our satchels, and raise a supportive fist in response.

How is King’s affected?

Our strike starts on Monday 26 February, followed by a two-day walkout on Monday 19 and Tuesday 20 March. For a full list of strike dates and information on what you can do to help, you can watch the UCU video and see below.

Strike Dates

First week – Monday 26, Tuesday 27 and Wednesday 28 February (three days)

Second week – Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March (four days)

Third week – Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March (five days)

Fourth week – Monday 19 March and Tuesday 20 March (two days)

English student at King's College London. A 25 year old London born woman with perpetually red lips and a penchant for sparkly things. Writes about bodies, mental health and glam. 
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.