nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 8 Study Spots Across KCL

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Whether you’ve got papers to write or flashcards to memorize, you’re probably looking for a comfy space to study for exams this semester. While there are many amazing coffee shops near King’s College London to hunker down, there’s always that weird pressure of buying something, searching for seating, and guessing how long you can occupy a table before the baristas give you side-eye. That’s why studying on campus can be a major benefit. With the help of fellow KCL students, I’ve rounded up some of the best spots to study across King’s. Time to hit the books!

1) Maughan Library – Strand

You knew it was coming: the most gorgeous library of them all. Situated at KCL’s Strand campus, the Maughan Library is where you’ll find just about everyone these next few weeks. This means you’ll have plenty of study resources, even though it might get a bit busy. While you may find a coveted spot in the Round Room, you’ll have more luck by exploring the Maughan’s many nooks and crannies. Insider tip: the undergraduate and postgraduate study carrels are prime real estate to get your head down and study productively. You might need to make several rounds across the various floors to bag an office, but once you have it, you’ll be in study heaven.

2) Bush House – Strand

Newly acquired Bush House is one of my absolute favourite places to be. Also located on Strand campus, you’re likely to find a place to work in this epic 8-floor building. There are two main hubs that are always buzzing, so this is the perfect place to meet up for group work activities. You won’t necessarily get peace and quiet, but you’ll get plenty of tables and free wifi to have intellectual discussions that will fuel your work.

3) IoPPN Canteen – Denmark Hill

Ah, Denmark Hill. The furthest out and smallest KCL campus. Sometimes it can feel like we don’t have the coolest amenities compared to the Strand or Guy’s, but you’d be pleasantly surprised. The IoPPN canteen is actually an amazing and highly underutilized study space. When you walk in, there’s the busy main cafe area, but if you walk all the way to the back, you’ll find yourself in a completely new land of comfy seating, charging ports, and quiet study space. If you’re based at Denmark Hill, this is definitely a great spot to grab a coffee and study.

4) IoPPN Library – Denmark Hill

Also situated in the IoPPN building, the IoPPN library offers two floors of library workspaces where you can go to get some serious work done. It’s definitely pretty quiet in here, so definitely go to the group study rooms if you come with friends. You can absolutely make use of the computers and printing facilities as well. You’re bound to get some great studying done here.

5) New Hunt’s House – Guy’s Campus

A sprawling space on Guy’s Campus with plenty of space to study, New Hunt’s House offers two main options for studying: the Keats Cafe and the New Hunt’s House Library. You can split your time as well by grabbing your caffeine fix from the cafe then heading down to one of the silent study zones, group study rooms, computer labs, or postgraduate study zones in the library. Like other KCL libraries, New Hunt’s House offers charge zones where you can revive your phone and printing facilities for the paper lovers out there. Remember, as a KCL student, you’re allowed access to all King’s libraries so it’s definitely worth coming out here even if you’re based somewhere else.

6) Wills Library – Guy’s Campus

Located in the Hodgkin Building, this former Medical School library is now a 24-hour study area for all King’s students. Yes, you read that right: 24 hours. Everyone knows that uni students are prone to a late night, so if you find yourself searching for a place to go for an all-nighter, look no further. The Keat’s Room is located here as well where you’ll find access to student computer in case your laptop battery runs out during your late night study sesh. It’s also *so* pretty in here with its large wooden tables and chairs. You’ll feel like a proper student and get serious work done.

7) Franklin-Wilkins Library – Waterloo Campus

As a Waterloo campus favourite and modern, clean space, the Franklin-Wilkins Library boasts many great facilities for your studying needs. With two floors of space to choose from, you can make your choice between a discussion zone, quiet zone, or silent zone. You can also check out the Study Skills Centre based inside and access Student Services while you’re here. The library even offers laptop loans. This is a great study space for any King’s student and you can get an instagram-ready pic of the outside building on your way in as well.

8) St. Thomas House – St. Thomas

Okay, I have to admit it. St. Thomas is the only KCL campus I’ve never actually set foot in, but I got some reliable intel that St. Thomas House is a great study spot on the St. Thomas campus. Equipped with a 24-hour computing room, this is another great spot for working into the late hours, or early if you’re ambitious. It’s a smaller library compared to some of the others, but a great option if you’re based at St. Thomas. The 24-hour access is must-have feature that you can’t always rely on around London.

So there you have it! With exam season looming so closely, it’s a comforting reminder that as a King’s student, you have access to multiple incredible study spaces. Whether you need 24-hour access, a buzzing atmosphere, computing facilities, or some peace and quiet, KCL offers it all. As many of the students I spoke with suggest, it’s definitely recommended to get out of your comfort zone and try out a study space that’s not necessarily on your specific campus. You never know what a fresh setting can do for your studious mind. Happy studying!

Hi there, I'm Milli! I'm a postgraduate student at King's College London studying for a Mental Health Studies MSc. Prior to moving to London, I did my BA in Philosophy at University of California, Irvine. In between classes, I enjoy jamming with my friends, playing guitar, singing, and making music. I also love going out to gigs and traveling all across Europe. I'm originally from California but I've lived in New York, Texas, and now London. Currently, I'm involved with KCL Radio where I host a music show called What the Folk?! and Her Campus where I aim to write about my uni experiences, body positivity, and self-care.
King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.