This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

This time of year is filled with festivities like visiting Christmas markets, going out for drinks with friends and snuggling up inside watching films. As fun as this season can be, it unfortunately coincides with lots of revision and deadlines. It’s so easy to get caught up in all the fun and let your work pile up, so I’ve put together some tips for staying on top of your work while still making the most of your Christmas break!

Start planning early

Before you head home for the holidays, it’s really useful to try and map out what work needs to be done. Try and start organising your assignments, brainstorming ideas and writing plans early on and keep an eye out for help you might need before you go. Make the most of library sources and if you’re stuck arrange a meeting with a teacher to ask any questions or simply to make sure you’re on the right path. This will immediately take away some stress with your workload and resolve any uncertainty. 

Make a schedule for your work

Even creating a loose schedule can be really useful when dealing with various pieces of work and revision. If you start to set aside time-slots for focusing on different assignments then it should help make your workload seem less intimidating and can help you stay focused, instead of panicking and trying to work on everything at once (a bad habit of my own sometimes). Doing work little and often is better than trying to finish it all days before the deadline!  

Meet up with old friends

It’s so important to make sure you have downtime, too. It’s probably been a while since you’ve seen friends from home so use this opportunity to make fun, festive plans to catch up and relax. You deserve to have some time to switch off and enjoy yourself, and it’ll prevent you from burning out. If your friends are students too you can always arrange a study date at the local library during the day and then party in the evening! 

Find motivating places to study

Libraries are a great space to work, however, sometimes it’s nice to have a change of scene when being productive. One of my personal favourite study spots is a good ol’ coffeeshop. You can treat yourself to a nice coffee and sweet snack while you work, and I always find the environment to be quite calm and there are often lots of other people getting work done as well. Sometimes leaving your room or house and travelling somewhere can really give you that extra kick of motivation you might need.

Stay in touch with course mates 

Although you are away from a uni for a while, it can be really useful to stay in touch with friends on your course through group chats or even Skype. This way you can discuss any queries you have with the work and support each other. It’s also especially important this time of year to check up on your friends as it can be quite overwhelming and draining. Being given the time and space to vent your feelings can honestly do wonders. 

Put time aside to get festive with family

Giving yourself time to unwind with those close to you is a high priority – it’s the best part of the holidays! Playing board games, going out for food or having a film night are a few examples of what you can do to make the most of your time together. If the holidays are tough for you and your family, you can do these things with friends, work colleagues or anyone else close to you. 

Be kind to yourself 

Possibly the most important thing to keep in mind this time of year is to make sure you are being kind and looking after yourself. Don’t beat yourself up if you have some unproductive days, or if the dark and cold weather drains your energy – it happens! Taking time to look after yourself and do what makes you happy does wonders for your mental health and general wellbeing. Treat yourself to a nice soak in the bath, put time aside for your hobbies and make sure are giving yourself the headspace you need.

I wish you all a fabulous and festive Christmas break, and I hope these tips help you manage your workload and reduce your stress! You’ve got this.

Arabella Kennedy-Compston is a Content Writer as Her Campus who loves to discuss popular culture, mental health, feminism, LGBTQ+ community matters and all things few and far between. She is currently in the first year of her Film Studies Undergraduate degree at King's College London. She has run her own independent blog before, reviewing films and discussing matters such as consent and has had an article published on the LUSH website. She loves drinking coffee, watching films, going to concerts and using her camera. You can follow her on twitter @bellakxnnedy.
President of Her Campus KCL!