stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Eco-friendly self-care 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Every once in a while, it’s important to rejuvenate yourself by simple yet significant self-care routines. It can either be simply reading a book by the window with your favorite fragrance candle lit and creamy hot chocolate or a spa night at home – it’s up to you, whatever refreshes you. Even though most of the self-care routines are small and relatively harmless, here are a few practices which are eco-friendly so yay!

1. Taking a walk outside 

Walking with the aim of just walking, and not reaching anywhere feels great, even if it’s just around the neighborhood. Getting all that fresh air in will definitely help refresh and get started with the week. 

2. Trying a new hobby

Having a hobby which you enjoy is great when you want to take a break from the hectic university schedule and relax for a bit. It could be bullet journaling, typography, drawing, painting, reading or basically anything you like!

3. Staying in for the night 

I genuinely love a Saturday night in and reading Anne of Green Gables. Snuggled in bed, with a lit candle, and all the winter feels surrounding me. Even if reading isn’t your thing, go to the library and borrow a book on a topic that interest you – from zoology to metaphysics, anything basically (fiction or non-fiction). 

4. A good night’s sleep 

Getting enough sleep is incredible important for a longlasting healthy lifestyle. As young adults, about 6 to 8 hours of sleep each night is essential. It can be hard to get to bed before midnight, especially with coursework and studying. However, at least on the weekends, making a choice to gift yourself with rest is a great investment on your mental, physical and spiritual health. 

5. A spa night in the dorm 

I absolutely love taking a warm shower, washing my hair, putting on a face mask, and spending the night with myself. Homemade facemasks are a great alternative to cut down on single-use plastic, and its actually more fresh since you are making it from scratch! (or source out ecofriendly facemasks if you don’t feel like making a mask) 

Taking care of yourself (and the environment) is essential and is definitely something to invest in. Doing little things for yourself helps sustain even in challenging times. Self-care is all about you and you do you! 

A 3rd year Biomedic Student at King’s College London, an animal lover and a spiritual seeker. When I’m not working on lab reports and dissertations, I enjoy practicing typography, dancing, and binge watching friends.
President of Her Campus KCL!