brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

The Doctors of Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Health has always been important, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are more conscious of our wellbeing. This concern has lead to many people turning to Dr Google for solutions, and now there is a whole new breed of medical influencers who post about health issues and advise about how to treat them. Unfortunately, medical information found online and social media can be highly misleading and sometimes dangerous. To help you navigate this minefield, here are the best NHS qualified doctors for you to follow on Instagram so that you can get the answers to all your health concerns!

1. Dr Hazel Wallace (@thefoodmedic)

Hazel is a qualified nutritionist and doctor for the NHS currently working as a COVID doctor. Her Insta is full of helpful advice, myth-busting and recipes full of nutritional goodness. If you want to learn how to lead a healthier happier life, Hazel’s Insta is the place for you!

2. Dr Anita Mitra (@gynaegeek)

Anita is a gynaecologist for the NHS. Her philosophy is all about dispelling fear around reproductive health, gynaecologist visits and helping women become more comfortable with their bodies. Any question you have about your vagina, she has the answer and the facts to back it up!

3. Dr Alex George (@dralexgeorge)

Alex may be most known from his stint on Love Island, but he has been doing amazing work as an A&E doctor and was recently appointed the Ambassador for Mental Health which is an amazing step. Alex does many Q&A sessions about various aspects of medicine and actively promotes mental health and self-care on his page!

4. Dr Frankie Jackson-Spence (@drfrankiejs)

Frankie is a qualified doctor and PT who has been on the frontline of the pandemic in A&E. She uses the most up-to-date facts to make sure you are fully informed and to ease any anxiety about common medical issues. Her series on COVID has been amazing and every week she opens up her stories to any questions her followers have!

5. Dr Joshua Wolrich (@drjoshuawolrich)

Joshua is an NHS surgeon who specialises in weight and nutrition. His page is devoted to fighting the stigma surrounding diets and weight that are so common on Instagram, especially at the moment. He is not scared to call out misinformation and promotes Health At Any Size as wellbeing isn’t defined by weight!

6. Dr Scarlet Nazarian (@thefemalesurgeon)

Scarlet is, as her handle implies, an NHS surgeon. Her page is more focused on surgical terms but she has many informative posts about issues, from having an itchy bottom to organ prolapse. Scarlet does an amazing job of outlining conditions and their treatments, so check her out if you have any concerns!

Megan is a second-year Classical Studies student at King's College London. She can usually be found reading any and every book she can get her hands on, wandering around the museums of London, or binge-watching shows on Netflix
hahsghqs