sydney sims fZ2hMpHIrbI unsplashjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sydney sims fZ2hMpHIrbI unsplashjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Photo by Sydney Sims on Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

The Curious Case of Social Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Social anxiety is a phrase that has been increasingly discussed in recent years. It’s all part of a greater movement towards appreciating the importance of mental health well-being, and the wealth of knowledge and security we can gain by discussing such pressing matters. 

Taken from a collective group of experiences and research, this article aims to showcase what it may feel like to suffer from social anxiety. Firstly, however, how can we define it?

As stated by the Volume 25 of the Psychiatric Clinics of North America, it is a form of nervousness in social situations. It can impair one’s ability to function and cause behavioural disruption. What does this really feel like and how does it affect roughly 40 million people?

1. Preparation before social situations

This, in many cases, is the most unbearable aspect of social anxiety; the build-up. Not knowing what to expect from the situation, constantly re-writing the future possibilities can be mentally and physically exhausting. The mere stress of this can result in purposely missing the event or situation, instead, seeking comfort of a familiar place.

2. Isolation 

A major effect of suffering from social anxiety is finding solace in isolation. Many sufferers stay in familiar places, most likely their own home, seeking protection from the uncertainty of the outside world. This can lead to increase disconnectedness with friends, family, and society in general.

3. Physical effects

The effects may be extensive, but many common effects include: nausea; headaches; lower immunity; and, in more serious cases, eating disorders. To attempt to alleviate any of these issues, one should contact their local doctor, discuss their issues, and seek some form of treatment. 

Social anxiety can be scary. Especially as many people pass it off to mere nerves or discomfort, and, therefore, don’t accurately understand that it may be a stronger underlying issues. Yet, so many people around the world are dealing with, or have dealt with, this problem. For those who suffer with social anxiety, it is urged that you take the time to take care of yourself by seeking help and focusing on your own welfare. 

Law student, avid writer, and all-round opinionated. Keenly interested in charity work, the world of literature, and creativity, this account will be dedicated towards creating articles filled with stories, statements, and views.
President of Her Campus KCL!