This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

Remote learning can be hard, especially when the work is piling up with each passing day! Most of us are nearly halfway through our first semester, but assessments and deadlines are approaching rapidly. We might not be feeling as productive or energetic as we were when it comes to work. Lacking motivation around this time is common for most of us!

Here are a few tips to help you be more productive and motivated:

1. Follow the Pomodoro technique 

This approach is fairly simple and leads to an extremely productive outcome! The technique helps you build momentum to study productively for a longer period. All you have to do is set a timer for 25 minutes and work for the duration of the time without looking at your phone or being otherwise distracted. Once the timer goes and you’ve completed a small chunk of your task, you can take a quick 5 minute break to help you re-energise. Then you work for another 25 minutes and have a 5 minute break and so on. After four 25 minute sessions, you can take a break of 20 minutes, then it’s back to work! The Pomodoro method helps you focus on each session separately, thus increasing your productivity and motivating you to complete your tasks for the day.

2. Make a study plan 

Make a study plan listing the things you want to achieve that day. Not only does making a study schedule help you visualise and organise your daily tasks, it also helps you to accomplish them. By having a well-organised study plan, you will know exactly which pieces of work you need to complete, preventing a last minute panic that you’ve forgotten to do something you were meant to. Furthermore, checking each task off your list will give you the motivation to complete the remaining tasks on your study plan.

3. Avoid social media while you study

We all know that constantly checking social media while studying can be extremely unproductive and can lead to you being on your phone for much longer than expected.

Try to put your phone on Do Not Disturb or turn off notifications while studying to avoid any distractions that could lead to you wasting time scrolling through your social media feed! You can also install apps which prevent you from checking your social media until you’ve finished your work.

4. Study with a friend (virtually!)

Lecture and seminar readings can be quite tedious, especially if you’re isolating at home and therefore unable to go to the library or to college to work. The best way to make the readings less draining and more enjoyable is to study with a friend, even if it is virtually! Having someone to study with motivates you to work for longer hours and to procrastinate less, making it the perfect way to study, especially when you have a lot to do and not much motivation to do it.

5. Exercise regularly

It can be hard as a university student working remotely to take time out of a busy schedule to exercise. However, it is no secret that leaving your house, even for just 20 minutes, is not just good for your physical well-being but is also great for increasing productivity. Going for a quick walk or run, playing a team sport or doing yoga helps boost productivity levels, leaving you feeling more energetic, relaxed, motivated and focused.

Content Writer for Her Campus KCL! Interested in all things related to Politics, Sustainability and Food. Hoping to do my bit in bringing positivity into this world someday!
hahsghqs