5 Halloween Baking Recipes You Need To Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at KCL chapter.

I recently had to accept the fact that I’m not the best cook in the world; I’m just about able to follow a recipe and end up with something edible. What I can do, though, is bake. It’s a great way to destress, the ingredients are rarely expensive, and it feeds my ever-hungry work colleagues before a long shift. With Halloween on the horizon, here’s five spooky recipes that are easy enough to make in a student kitchen.

1) Devil’s Food Cake

Tesco reckons this recipe costs £1.22 per serving, which makes it great for a student budget. The decoration is simple but adorable and will make a great centrepiece at a Halloween party – and who doesn’t love a good pun?

2) Witches’ Fingers

Ready from start to finish in less than an hour, these spooky biscuits make the most of the natural cracks in almond cookies to create wrinkled fingers. You can replace the almond fingernails with icing if you prefer, still ending up with a great look!

3) Spider Biscuits

Aren’t these the cutest little things? Decorations where it doesn’t matter if you’re not perfectly neat are the best kind of decorations and all you really have to do for these is to pipe four straight-ish lines, then add a chocolate confection of your choosing and add some icing eyes. Little effort, for very sweet payoff!

4) Chocolate Mice

This barely qualifies as baking, since there’s no oven involved. If you have a microwave or a hob to melt chocolate in then you can make this recipe – no skill required. These little guys can infest any Halloween treat you’ve made, making it even spookier and also adding chocolate. Because who doesn’t love chocolate?

5) Roasted Pumpkin Seeds

Pumpkins are one of the best parts of Halloween but if you’re just throwing away the seeds once you’ve scoop them out along with the flesh then you’re missing out on a great snack! Add any seasoning you like, be it sweet or savoury, and you’ll have some crunchy nibbles after a bake in the oven! These are great alone, or they can be added to other recipes from granola to bread.  

We hope you give some of these recipes a try! Let us know if you do by getting in touch on social media – we’re @hercampuskcl on Twitter, Facebook and Snapchat!

King's College London English student and suitably obsessed with reading to match. A city girl passionate about LGBTQ+ and women's rights, determined to leave the world better than she found it.