Why You Should Watch ’13 Reasons Why’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

1. It is so important

In our society, issues like suicide, sexual harassment, sexual abuse, and depression are easily glossed over; this show brings to light all the uncomfortable truths that warrant our attention.

2. It is real

I’m not saying real as in a true story; it is based on a novel from the imagination of author Jay Asher. I’m saying it is based on truths. Suicide is the second-leading cause of death among teenagers and this show brings that reality to the forefront.

3. Selena Gomez is an executive producer

This is most definitely a reason to watch. She is a truly talented individual and a celebrity icon who is working to effect change in our society.

4. The cast is brilliant

While you may not be familiar with the actors and actresses, they fulfill their duties to some amazingly diverse and intricate characters very well. Every person featured in the show has a unique story that draws you in.

5. It puts things in perspective

By the end of the show, you will have a different way of looking at people that surround you. The themes of this show draw into sharp focus the effects that you have on the people you interact with, whether you are conscious of it or not.

Welcome! I'm Katelyn, a senior Writing Rhetoric and Technical Communication major at James Madison University. I love cats, sunshine, and popular writing.
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.