neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

8 Ways to Keep Your Cool During Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

Finals week always brings out everyone’s inner drama queen. Too much stress and too much caffeine makes everyone’s nerves at an all time high. Here are some easy ways to make finals week a little more bearable.

1. Hydrate!

It is so easy to forget to drink water when sitting in Carrier or ECL cramming for those exams. Staying hydrated will not only balance out the obscene amount of coffee that you consume, but it will also make you feel 10 times better!

2. Don’t skip meals.

I know it seems like basic common sense, but it is so easy to lose track of time while studying and cramming. When you skip a meal, you not only slow down your metabolism, but you also feel like complete crap. So take a study break and grab a snack.

3. Don’t stop going to UREC.

It might seem like a waste of study time, but keep up with your workout schedule. Set aside an hour and burn some calories! Working out keeps your stress levels low and it also gives you endorphins, meaning a more positive outlook at that heavily weighted final. Spend 45 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical and knock out some reading!

4. Sleep is still a necessity.

Whoever said sleep is overrated was a liar. Sleep helps your body to rejuvenate and it also helps your brain retain more information.

5. Make a list

Lists, lists, lists. Lists organize everything and make all the stress and anxiety disappear — okay not fully disappear, but it relieves a lot of it. Make a list of the assignments you have yet to complete. Make a list of when and where your finals are held. Then, make a list of material that you have to review for the finals. Trust me, not only will you seem completely organized, but you will also feel more prepared and ready for that cumulative final exam.

6.  Listen to music.

A great way to keep your sanity this finals season is by listening to music while you’re studying. I personally listen to classical music or music without lyrics. This not only helps to focus, but it can also keep you calm and relaxed.

7. Coffee works wonders — in moderation.

Coffee is what makes the world go ‘round. But too much can have an opposite effect. Coffee has that wonderful ingredient known as caffeine, but limiting your amount of caffeine intake can help your studying sessions be way more productive. The caffeine acts as a stimulant in your blood system and essentially wakes you up. However, too much can send you crashing into an afternoon nap. So go get your iced coffee, but maybe add one less shot.

8. The end of the semester is so close.

Despite all of the stress that comes alongside of finals week, just remember that once the week is done, an entire month of freedom is about to become reality. So sit down, study, do what you have to do to pass and then enjoy winter break!

Senior English Major with a concentration in Creative Writing. Proud dog mom that consumes too much green tea. Planning to attend Graduate School for Strategic Public Relations and Digital Media. 
Rachel graduated from the Honors College at James Madison University in May 2017 and is pursuing a career in the media/PR industry. She majored in Media Arts & Design with a concentration in journalism and minored in Spanish and Creative Writing. She loves spending time with friends and family, traveling, and going to the beach.