jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Maintain a More Fulfilling Lifestyle

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JMU chapter.

As college students, it can be easy to get bogged down in all of the never-ending amounts of work and responsibilities, making it easy to forget that much else in our lives matters other than school and grades. Here’s a few tips that you can use to get out of that haze, at least for a little while, especially in the midst of all of our impending finals.

1. Put your phone down! We all need to be reminded sometimes that life exists outside of our phones. The sad truth is that by burying our faces in our electronics, we could be missing awesome opportunities to connect with others in ways that can’t be done through a screen. Talking with someone face-to-face and engaging in an interesting conversation is also a great way to de-stress for a while, before we have to head back to the books. 

2. Be mindful of what you’re putting into your body. This goes for both food and drinks! Nothing feels better than knowing you’re treating your body well, and a healthy diet can do just that. Large quantities of junk food, desserts, and alcohol can make us feel tired and unmotivated, which is no good for all of the daily responsibilities that college brings. Obviously no one’s perfect, and it seem nearly impossible to be healthy all the time; however, making a conscious effort to reduce some of these things from our daily diets will be very beneficial in the long run. Your body and mind will thank you! 

3. Get out of your comfort zone. Make a conscious effort to try at least one new thing each week! Strike up a conversation with a stranger in your class, try out that new restaurant downtown, or do hot yoga for the first time. Don’t let yourself get too comfortable in your daily routine. We have so many opportunities in college, and especially here at JMU, but it’s up to us to take that first uncomfortable step because it could just be the best thing we’ve ever done!  

4. Keep a journal. I know, I know, it sounds cheesy, but we’re not talking about an elementary school type diary, here. Keeping a journal is a great way to reflect on your day and on things that are going on in your life at the time. We’re faced with so much information in our classes, experiences, and conversations, and sometimes it’s nice to get it all down on paper to look back on later! Even writing a couple of sentences a day about something interesting you tried or something that your professor said that really stuck out to you is a great way to decompress at the end of a long day. 

5. Show interest in those around you. Sometimes when having a conversation with a friend or acquaintance, it can be easy to focus only on our own response and not on what the other person is actually saying. Try to make an effort to fully engage in the thoughts and opinions of others–show that you care and value your relationship with them. You never know what someone is going through and your support and ability to listen to them might just make their whole day, and it will make you feel a lot more fulfilled as well.  

I am a junior at JMU studying Media Arts & Design- Corporate Communication. I am a member of Phi Mu Fraternity in addition to Her Campus! I was born in Troy, OH and grew up in both Kings Mountain, NC and Richmond, VA. I am the oldest child, the only blonde in my immediate family, and the only one who has 20/20 vision.