Life > Experiences

The Benefits of Going to the Gym: My Personal Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Jefferson chapter.

Working out can seem complex and difficult for many, including myself. I was deterred from it because I had assumed it was only for those who were innately fit or on an athletic team. However, this semester, with a nagging curiosity and feeling that I’ve been missing out on something, I started going to the gym and working out. I soon realized that all the Tiktok, scholarly articles, health education, and personal testimonies weren’t lies – working out really does work. Here are some things I’ve noticed despite going to the gym two or three times a week.

1. There are all kinds of bodies and people at the gym, and everyone is on their own personal health journey. 
  2. Going to the gym is logical because of its immense benefits on your physical and mental health. 
  3. It’s a great way to bond with new and old friends. If you struggle to hang out with friends during the school day, going to the gym together is a way to encourage and support each other’s health journeys while also building your friendship.
  4. It can help with time management as going to the gym adds another item to your already-hectic schedule. It can also give you the energy to balance tasks throughout your day.
  5. Getting yourself to the gym is the hardest part of “going to the gym.” Getting there is 75% of the energy; once I get to the gym, the actual exercising part ends up being fun and stress-relieving. Also, as a college student, the gym is right there on campus – maximize your access to these resources while you can!
  6. It’s a great time to listen to music or think. I find optimistic thoughts coming to mind during the middle of a workout, and this helps put perspective on things. Also, if you want to engage your mind in some other ways in your already busy schedule, feel free to play mobile games, text, watch Netflix, or read an E-book while doing some of the machines (in a safe manner, of course).
  7. People have always said that working out improves your self-esteem, but I’ve felt it myself in the last couple of weeks. Although my physical appearance hasn’t changed, I feel fit and can carry myself with better posture.
  8. Working out, or becoming active, doesn’t entail “hitting the gym.” Being active can include parking away from your destination and walking, taking the stairs, taking the longer or scenic route to destinations, or just walking faster. 
  9. And lastly, a tip I would leave anyone with is always stretching. Although I’ve heard the importance of stretching throughout my life, I’ve felt its effects in the last couple of weeks. Stretching can help minimize and prevent some of those aches you feel during and after working out and get the blood flowing so you can maximize your workout.
Meeval Biju

Jefferson '24

Hello hello! I'm a student at Jefferson University. I love science, music, food, and sleep.