Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon-Carefree Fall 2
Kayla Bacon / Her Campus
Wellness > Mental Health

Her Experience: Following a Beauty Routine has Helped My Mental Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at JCU chapter.

It’s no secret to those who know me that I often struggle with anxiety. Since so many of my friends also struggle with anxiety and depression, I’ve decided to dedicate some articles about my experience. Moreover, things that have lessened my mental strife. Last week it was Stevie Nicks and now it’s beauty routines. 

Up until a few months ago, I have never paid any special attention to myself before bed. I always brushed my teeth and slapped some plain water on my face (if that). I was lucky to have skin that didn’t easily break out, get oily or dry, so there was never much I thought to do for it. After some turbulent events in the early fall, my entire being (both mentally and physically) changed. I was left to pick up the pieces of myself with no real direction on how to do so. Like most clueless twentysomethings, I turned to the holy grail of information- YouTube. As I started to watch more lifestyle and beauty videos, my recommended page shifted from Crime Watch Daily’s “To Catch a Predator” videos to vlogs about self-care. Since then, I have been focused on prioritizing my wellbeing.  

I usually kick off my nightly routine by taking a shower. If I can be honest, I don’t trust people who take morning showers. I’ll take my makeup off in the shower with either cold cream (thanks for the tip Mom) or almond oil (thanks for the tip Em). I usually wash my face with Mary Kay Naturally Purifying Cleanser which came in the Fall ’19 Survival Kit. I found that you can’t rely solely on the MK facewash to remove makeup though. After showering, I put my hair up in a scrunchie and put on a spa headband made of terrycloth. For me, the headband doubles as a sleeping mask because I don’t sleep well if there is light in my room. I brush, floss, and mouth wash (that could be a poem). For my face, I use generic witch hazel for toner and MK Naturally Nourishing Oil to moisturize. If I have any acne or red spots, I will use tea tree oil to neutralize it. I hopped on the castor oil for hairgrowth train a few weeks ago and I think it’s working so far. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking to strengthen/thicken/moisturize their lashes. I use a spoolie to put castor oil on my eyelashes and eyebrows. Next, I slab on some Carmex and mist myself with watered-down Mario Badescu Aloe Spray.

Some skin care products arranged next to flowers
Charisse Kenion
I am not a psychology major so I can’t be 100% sure, but I think this beauty routine has been helping me mentally. I found that I am calmer after the mini self-care session. In conjunction with my beauty routine, I also do a few things each night before I go to bed: crack a window, set up my oil diffuser with a different essential oil each night, light a meditation candle, journal, meditate, lay down and read. 

Candle Sitting On Book
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Ever since I have been following this haphazard routine, I’ve been sleeping better. It may be the products or the routine itself (or maybe just a sense of accomplishment) that makes me more ready for bed. I have been a lifelong troubled-sleeper, so any type of relief from three to four hour nights is worth it. 

My journey of trying “alternative” ways to cope with anxiety has been exactly that- a journey. I found that some things were terrible (adult coloring books), some things did nothing (writing down my thoughts), and some things were life-altering (essential oils/aromatherapy). College is a time where we tend to neglect our wellbeing. We stay up too late, sleep too much or too little, we forget to get flu shots, prefer wine to water, and rarely disinfect our phones. It is so easy to lose sight of ourselves in a fast-paced, performance-based environment. Traditional medication and counseling are essential for some of us, but little things like beauty routines, candles, and meditation are simple ways to become more mindful.