kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Ways to Get a Good Night’s Sleep

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

Getting enough sleep while in college feels borderline impossible. Between classes, extra curriculars, having a social life, calling home, doing homework, and remembering to eat there just isn’t enough time to get those full eight hours of sleep that your body needs.

While it may seem like no big deal that sleep gets pushed to the back burner, not getting enough sleep can have some serious effects on your body such as memory issues, risk of high blood pressure, poor balance, and many more as described by Healthline.

Here are some ways to guarantee that you get a good night’s rest.

1. Try establishing a sleep schedule.

If you go to bed at the same time every night, your body will naturally start to wind down at that time making going to sleep easier.

2. Avoid napping.

After a sleepless night, all anyone wants to do is take a long nap at some point in the day but this can set you up for another sleepless night. If you’re having trouble falling asleep, avoid napping during the day even if it is just a power nap.

(Photo by Kinga Cichewicz)

3. Use your bed only for sleeping.

This is a tip I learned while I was still in high school. If you do other things in bed (aside from sleepin), your body won’t associate your bed with sleep. Try to avoid doing homework, watching tv, or even just hanging out in your bed.

4. Put down the phone.

Swiping through Tinder and scrolling through Twitter may seem like a good way to help yourself fall asleep, but it isn’t. Even with “Night Shift” mode on iPhones, the light from your phone can keep you awake for hours. It is recommended to stop using all devices anywhere from thirty minutes to an hour before bed.

Sweet dreams collegiettes.

Tips from National Sleep Foundation.

Danielle Jones is from Jeannette, Pennsylvania--a small town with big pride. As an English, Writing major with a minor is Business Administration she loves words and truly believes in their power. She is currently one of two Campus Correspondents for Her Campus at IUP. In her free time, Danielle enjoys reading, writing, and all things Shonda Rhimes.