This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at IUP chapter.

We all know that the holiday season can be stressful, but add in a pandemic and it basically feels like the entire world is falling apart.  From finding gifts for your family to studying for finals, it’s hard to enjoy the month of December.

Luckily, there are a few things you can do to make your holiday season feel a bit less hectic.

Do NOT Procrastinate When Studying For Finals

Try to get your work done ahead of time (yes, I know I sound crazy but hear me out).  This past semester, I have been doing a few assignments ahead of time each week to lessen my work load.  It has caused my stress levels to go way down and I do not find myself rushing through my work.  Leading up to finals, you do not want to have a pile of assignments sitting on your desk (or should I say, desktop).  

Avoid Black Friday Shopping At All Costs

COVID cases are back on the rise and there is a such thing as Cyber Monday.  Get your deals online and avoid going out to shop unless it’s completely necessary.  A lot of stores are doing drive-up service so definitely take advantage of that this year.  Do not risk being quarantined during the most wonderful time of the year!

Get Crafty

The year of 2020 is the time to get in touch with your crafty side and make some of your Christmas gifts.  

Bake some cookies, make a picture collage, or paint a canvas!  Give your loved ones something that requires a bit of creativity and isn’t too expensive.  Your bank account will thank you.

DON’T Talk Politics

If your family is anything like mine, politics will be a topic of discussion this holiday season.  Especially with the year we have had.  Do your best to avoid arguments and remove yourself from the conversation.  We do not need to have a family brawl over the Thanksgiving turkey.

Take Time For Yourself!

This is so important.  Give yourself time to relax and unwind.  Grab your favorite book, make some hot chocolate and cuddle up next to the fire.  You deserve it after the year you’ve had!  With so much going on in the world we tend to forget about ourselves and our mental health and that needs to change.  Focus on YOU and give yourself the time to heal after this terrible year.  With 2021 right around the corner you need to start it off right!

Hopefully, these tips will take a little bit of the stress away from your holidays.  Remember that we are all human and that sometimes we all need to step back and take a breather.  Use your time off of work/school to give yourself that well-earned relaxation and healing.  You deserve it.

Cat Mom. Journalism Major. HUGE Harry Styles Fan. True Crime Lover.